Rusty..

Well i took my flares off this past weeked, was not a good sight at all , but i had to do it to fix the rust that was under neath , i was so upset at seeing the outcome of taking them off..

Quarter panel fender Passenger side

169q9zc.jpg

Quarter panel Fender Passenger side

11rzu5t.jpg

Quarter panel Fender drivers side

1gjd4.jpg

Quarter Panel Fender Drivers Side

2ng5qqa.jpg

Oh boy... The only good news is my front fenders are basically spotless. just need a quick sanding.

Can i shoot myself now?

Rust blows. For those of us in the east, it's inevitable. That however looks quite treatable still. I had some spots that were rotten straight through. I simply ended up cutting them out like a cancer. And now I can fit 33's with no issues at all :)

• Like 1

Exactly what he said ^. If you're going to get bigger tires, you can cut the wheel lip right off, weld the two panels together, and have more tire clearance. If you want a more factory look time to get some sheetmetal and a welder. Don't just body fill over the rust.

How did you cut the ones on the quarter panel? I know theres an extra skin behind it that you cannot cut,if you had pics of what the outside and inside looked for me thatd be great!

Rust blows. For those of us in the east, it's inevitable. That however looks quite treatable still. I had some spots that were rotten straight through. I simply ended up cutting them out like a cancer. And now I can fit 33's with no issues at all :)

I didn't cut the rear fenders only the front. Sorry I didn't take pics when I did it. It wasn't really a planned thing. More like, let's see if I can grind the rust away with my angle grinder...and then one thing led to another lol. @!*% got outta hand real quick and before you know it my wheel arches were much bigger and my plastic liner was all but gone.

I've since cut even more and folded it back inwards to have something to drill into for my new fenders, which I love!

• 5 months later...

My 1997 SE offroad got the fender cancer bad!! The rear driver side got so bad the fendor flare fell off. Both rear sides need fixed...I can't do that kind of work but have a shop who gave me a good price IF I can find some quarter panel skins for them to work with. Can anyone point me to a source online? I don't have time to ferret around the local pickapart yard. Summit racing carries some but not for a 97 Pathfinder.

I am original owner and it is mechanically strong....I need to get 3 more years out of her. Thoughts?

Posted here as this was the only thread that came up in a search.....and is spot on with my same issue...

I looked everywhere and I could not find anything.... Good luck !..

( I am looking at buying a healthy pathy witha blown engine or trans in order to take the body parts...)

If you find anything, please post it !

S.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
On 11/24/2015 at 1:29 AM, patqx4 said:

I wish mine were as rusty as yours! I popped a rear flare under flex and saw this

IMG_20151122_144000_zpsxygkgppd.jpg

Bit off topic.. but where did you get those Infiniti centre caps for your wheels?