Transverse Link Replacement?

cpainter

The bushings on my transverse link (those lower front A-arm things) are pretty worn and I thought I'd replace the whole links with the bushings already installed. How tough is this to do? And, are there any tricks, special tools or other things I should know about?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could lay on me.

Yessir, That's the thing I'm needing to replace. I've been having a clunk in the front end when going over bumps and, after rolling around under the vehicle and wiggling things, I noticed that the bushings are worn on the transverse links. I'm having strong reservations about tearing into this myself 'cause this car's also needing O2 sensors (front ones) and a starter that intermittently won't react to the ignition key being turned as if the selenoid is going out. Fortunately, it only does it at the worst moments, like about 30 minutes ago in town in the pouring rain. I think I'll just throw all the parts in the back, tow it to a mechanic shop with a blank check and see if he can make a dependable vehicle out of it.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just frustrated due to this thing breaking down twice in the past hour on a quick trip into town.

Yessir, That's the thing I'm needing to replace. I've been having a clunk in the front end when going over bumps and, after rolling around under the vehicle and wiggling things, I noticed that the bushings are worn on the transverse links. I'm having strong reservations about tearing into this myself 'cause this car's also needing O2 sensors (front ones) and a starter that intermittently won't react to the ignition key being turned as if the selenoid is going out. Fortunately, it only does it at the worst moments, like about 30 minutes ago in town in the pouring rain. I think I'll just throw all the parts in the back, tow it to a mechanic shop with a blank check and see if he can make a dependable vehicle out of it.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just frustrated due to this thing breaking down twice in the past hour on a quick trip into town.

Well, at minimum, welcome to the forums!

If it's any consolation, changing the control arms is pretty easy, and doesn't take much time especially if you plan to buy a complete part with bushings already installed. Now changing the bushings yourself...that's another beast (been there). Either way, just need some jack stands, a breaker bar, torque wrench, sockets, and wrenches.

I'll let some of the other O2 sensor experts chime in, since I've never had issues with them.

For the ignition key/starter issue, what other symptoms are occurring? Does the instrument cluster seem to respond (lights/sounds) correctly and promptly when switching between Off, Acc, On? Any noises? Does the starter simply do nothing intermittently? Does it seem to happen when it rains?

For stuff like this, I usually go really basic: checking for loose battery terminal connections, wiggling the key in all ignition positions, checking wiring harnesses, and even throwing a voltmeter onto the circuits. I've experienced odd things that were solved by trivial fixes. The best part is that these are all free things.

FWIW, the starter motor isn't that hard to replace. Mine started having the same solenoid issues a few months ago. Turn the key, nothing happens but a click. Turn it a couple more times until it finally engages. It was especially bad if I didn't drive for a couple days and the battery voltage was lower than normal.

I replaced the starter motor and it's better than new!

The starting issue is just like what XPLORx4 describes. Everything is normal except that after a click there is no starter action and you never know which key turning attempt will engage it. Coming back from town today the engine seemed to be cutting out while driving, idleing rough and low when the tranny was in drive, but smooth in neutral, all with the SES light blinking...but the SES light did not stay on. I'm kinda afraid to drive it now.

Thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciate you fellas taking some time to try and help a complete stranger.

Keep in mind the rubber would have to be awfully rotten to start hearing a clunk from these things. Have you checked the sway bar end links? They are a common wear item that will certainly cause a clunk.

True. That is pretty thick rubber. But I've seen similar bushings fail on my S4. Probably because it's lowered. I guess the same goes for lifted. It will permanently be held in a position it wasn't lined up for from factory. Either way, my control arms are super rusted so they are getting swapped out.

I am with you though, I do believe the clunking, (at least in my case) is in fact coming from the sway bar end links. Will look into replacing those next.