R50 reliability question

Hi all,

I need your opinion on the pathfinder reliability. I am at a crossroad between keeping and fixing the pathfinder, or selling it away.

I purchased the 2000 Pathfinder in Toronto back in 2006. I moved to Michigan with the Pathfinder in 2010 (imported it into the US). I have traveled with the Pathfinder as far northeast as Quebec (in 2009), down south to Florida (in 2013), then moved out west to California in September 2014. It has seen plenty of trails in Ontario and Michigan ORV, as well as two of my ex-es, and three college crushes (I don't know how this is relevant), and shared many good times on the trails and at coffee meets.

At 370,000 km and KBB value between $600 and $2500, the pathfinder needs a lot of work to get it licensed in California. To pass emission, I have to fix the CEL issues (0325 knock sensor, 1448 evap canisters, and 0440 vcv bypass). Then to pass safety, I have to fix the rust on the inner and outer fenders, spring perch (maybe?), rocker panels, etc. Timing belt is due, oil pan, brakes, and tires need replacement.

Should I keep it or should I sell it? If I decide to fix it, how reliable is the engine/transmission? Will it last another 160,000 km without major issues? The pathy has 35's on SFD.

I don't know much about mechanics, nor do I have the space to work on it. And with that, the cost can quickly add up.

Thanks

man thats a tough decision. I've always liked your truck. I suppose it all depends on how bad the cancer is. if it's real bad I'd find a newer one and transfer the bumper/SFD and whatever other goodies you've got in there over and maybe keep the rear head rests as a memento.

• Like 1

On phone. So can't see specifics. But is there a way to possibly keep it registered outside of Cali? Like at a parent's address or something? Otherwise maybe finding a good 3.5 Pathy might be a option. Especially with 35s on a assuming 3.3l. From mentioned timing belt being due.

Sent from my Moto X

Where are you moving to that does a safety inspection? Is it only when registering from out of state?

I don't know what the costs of your repairs will be, but you can buy another one for $3-5k in far better shape and with less mileage. Still need a place to work if you want to transfer parts though...

B

• Like 1

Since you don't have a place to do all this work, I'd say it's time to look for another one, cleaner, less mileage and mechanically sound. Several of active members in California, see if someone is close to you, maybe they'll give you a hand or a place to swap your mods.

Thanks for the replies.

I currently live in Santa Barbara, CA. From what I've read, to register an out of state vehicle, I have to get it passed safety and emission. Unfortunately, I don't have any out-of-state addresses.

It is a 2000 Pathfinder with 3.3L, manual, 370,000 km (230,500 mi), 6" SFD pushing 35's. I get 12-14 mpg on average. For the past eight years, it has lived in Toronto and Michigan. I never intended to keep the truck for this long, and so I did not rustproof the truck (which I kind of regret). Front passenger inner fender has a rust hole, which is covered by the Nissan recall program, and the driver side is showing sign of rust.

At this point, I'm open for:
Option A - fix the pathfinder, get it registered, and drive it until the wheels fall off
Option B - sell the accessories and the truck for parts

Option C - buy newer 2001-2004 R50 and transfer the parts over
Option D - hopefully Nissan will deem the rust to be of safety concern and buy the truck

My conservative estimate for fixing the truck (t-belt, oil pan, brakes, ABS & CEL, body works) to be in the region of $5000. At this point, hopefully, I have a California-registered vehicle and fully-functional, which may develop future rust issues or perhaps mechanical? I don't know too many pathfinders with more than 230,000 miles and still going strong. Will the powertrain be reliable enough at that point? I have also been looking at other 2001-2004 R50s from non rust-belt areas. But finding a non-rust, manual, 4wd R50 is really difficult. And the ones in California are mostly 2wd.

As with the accessories, they will either go up for sale or get transferred if I get new pathfinder:

ARB bumper, audio system (pioneer h/u with memphis audio amp, sub, speakers), optima yellow top (one-year old), pathfinder rubber floormats, and bug/side deflectors, trailer hitch/shackles for rear recovery, and aftermarket (blacked out) headlamp/ tail lamps.

I'm just trying to make an informed decision because letting go of the pathy, after eight years and all that good times shared, is a hard thing to do. I still have until August when the MI license plate expires.

This is to seal the deal on being a rust bucket... I drove it on the Bonneville Salt Flats, UT :lmao:

IMG_4282_zpsu6ebli2w.jpg

IMG_1614_zpsuzb2w0lt.jpg

IMG_4283_zps3l3wzo3a.jpg\

IMG_4289_zpsf4zrsb4d.jpg

Edited by dududuckling
  • Like 1

I'm not too far from you, regarding your situation, I'd be surprised if Nissan bought it back, and the amount of body work it sounds like it needs would mean a greater investment than not only what it's worth financially, but would be enough to buy another pathy with fewer miles and less rust. That said however, I understand being attached to it, but to get it to pass smog, and repairing the rust could become a never ending battle. But you may be able to find a way to do the minimum required to get it certified etc, it's not like it has to be a show car to get registered. Again, even that may be an expensive proposition, so it depends how committed you are to this pathfinder, instead of buying another to replace it.

Lucky for you, there are a good number of 4x4 Pathfinders available with no rust in CA, and maybe you could see the purchase of the new pathy as turning a page to your new life in CA not to get too deep haha. It should serve you for a number of years, and if you're transferring parts, your original with all those miles will live on in those parts. The car isn't what has the memories, you do ;) . You may have to either wait a while, or cave in on buying a manual 4x4, as those are hen's teeth anywhere, but they do pop up every now and then. The auto isn't terrible.

• Like 2

Well said Karmann, I gave up on my long time search for a manual 4x4 3.5 r50. Every time one would pop up it was either beat or gone by the time I went to look at it. They seem to be the holy grail of pathfinders.

the jump to the 3.5 has been very satisfying to say the least, it feels like a beast compared to my old 98 ..the cat back was the real deal,, i drive my girls 2001 with 68K miles and mine .same engine .hers stock,, i can feel an amazing difference.

It sounds like you love the vehicle...but it does sound like it would be unworthy the cost to rehab it.

So I suggest selling it and getting yourself another, fresher replacement.

If you have a lot of upgraded parts that you want, keep those and put them on the new one.

As for mileage my 99 3.3l has 218k and going strong.

I would find a good replacement. Swap parts over. Take old one in for recall. If deemed unsafe. Let Nissan buy it back. Profit?

Sent from my Moto X

Yep, that sounds like the game plan for now. I wanna try different vehicles or buy newer ones, but leasing/financing means I'll be in debt for the next 3-5 years, which is not good for a recent graduate like me. So for now, I'm looking at 2002-2004 manual. Once you drive a stickshift, you don't wanna go back to Auto haha... but the 2004 platinum edition interior looks so appealing, I can wheel in luxury haha... Latest pictures of the pathfinder

98a1fb1c-295b-4fd0-897a-cb11ffb06db2_zps

IMG_1614_zpsuzb2w0lt.jpg

IMG_4295_zps72rjbkoy.jpg

IMG_4292_zpsk9r32kcw.jpg

IMG_4291_zps3imr3lm2.jpg

Edited by dududuckling

Once you drive a stickshift, you don't wanna go back to Auto haha...

Normally I'd agree (first automatic in 20 years), but if you have to deal with traffic, an automatic is far superior. I suspect you'll be learning this... ;)

I still miss the 5 speed for normal driving/wheeling, and like the simplicity of them as well.

You seem smart enough... I recommend you buy a stopgap Pathfinder for the time being (transfer what ever you can/want), drive it for what ever makes sense, then look for what you are really after when properly positioned and not against a time frame, so then you can pick and choose.

A little bit of sacrifice and investment initially should ultimately set you up better, like in so many things. :aok:

B

• Like 3

I'm in a similar perdicament... minus the whole Kilometer thing. I had to seperate emotion/memories from the practicality and reliability. The motors are stout, but the chassis and everything around it gets fatigued around 200k. I have 226k on my WD21 and I'm having a hell of a time finding a suitable thing to replace with with that doesn't break the bank. Once you realize, it's not broken.. it's worn out, you will be ok replacing it. 200k is the time they start to run their last trail.

All depends on how it's used also. One used on a mining facility will be more worn down than one driven by and older person just going to the store and such.

For instance I ran into a gentleman the other day that has a '98 R50 2WD. 350k miles on it. Said he's kept up with the maintenance and plans to keep it going until he can't drive anymore. It was in remarkable shape.

Sent from my Moto X