Definitive trail tool guide

northbynorthwest

Inspired by this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wasteland-survival-guide-engineering-greta-1344782/index45.html#post13513781 near perfect trail tool kit, I thought maybe we should start establishing a definitive list of fastener sizes in our Pathfinders so we can eliminate extra wrenches in our trail tool kits.

So... it might take a while to compile, but when you go in tear apart your truck, especially an area that will leave you stranded if it fails, post up what size fasteners you find, along with any other details (truck year, part type, stock/aftermarket, and any clearance issues - whether you used a box wrench, shallow drive socket or deep drive socket)

I'll go first:

on my 92 WD21, nearly every bolt I have ever touched has been 10, 12 or 14 mm. I have never found "standard" SAE size fasteners on anything stock, but have used a 1/2 in and 3/8 in wrenches on some aftermarket lighting components and battery clamps. The only exception was... wait for it... 15/16 in on my power steering hose. I know that one because it was a gap in my off the shelf socket sets and I had to but a 1-off to get the hose out at JY. That socket needs to be shallow drive, even then I barely had enough clearance.

So...

10 mm

12 mm

14 mm

3/8 in

1/2 in

15/16 in shallow drive

as a starting point for "everyday" repairs, but I have yet to tear into the engine or suspension

Edited by northbynorthwest

adjustablewrench.jpg

:lol:

FYI: 1/2"=12.7mm, so a 13mm wrench will work on 1/2" most fasteners, and conversely, a 1/2"wrench will fit tightly on some 13mm fasteners.

Honestly, I keep 10,12,13,14,15,17,19mm wrenches and sockets with me. They really don't weigh too much/take up too much room to bring the full set.

Tools are one thing I generally don't travel light on if I am on a trip.

Along your thought train though, a set of hex wrenches is always recommended as well, but I believe it can be reduced down to 3,4,5,6mm.

B

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I keep a small tool bag, 8,10,12,14,15,16,17,19,21,22mm standard,deep sockets and wrenches. Adjustable wrench, needle nose and regular pliers, channel locks, Alan wrench set, universal screw driver with multiple bits, electrical tape, wire cutters (dykes), solderless electrical connectors, assorted nuts and bolts, loctite, and some other crap.

Also keep jumper cables, rope, a chain, mini air compressor, auxiliary cb radio, letherman multi purpose tool, extra starter relay, cell phone charger, 5 gallon water jug and a AAA card.

Still need to put together a first aid kit and survival kit( MRE'S and survival stuff in case I get sidetracked for a few unanticipated days).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...