Thermostat and sealant concerns

PamPoovey

95 Pathfinder

There was no issue with thermostat, but my ex who's in another state, insisted that I should change it since I was changing the belts and don't recall having it changed the past 10 years.

Anyways, I did not let the sealant tack before I tightly bolted it down. Should I have? I did put a decent amount of sealant on both sides of the paper gasket. Should I just start over again? Do you think gooping it up well on both sides of gasket will do the job?

I have to be at work Monday at 8am and after I called it a day, I stumbled across a video where someone was demostrating how to use the RTV Silcone (that video did not have a paper gasket). Now I don't know if I am being a worry wort if I did truly goof.

Thank you soooooo much in advance!!!!

You didnt need to use the paper gasket and silicone. They are siliconed in from the factory. Either way, you need make sure the mating surfaces are clean from any silicone or gasket material before reinstalling the t-stat. You dont need to "goop" it on there either. A small bead of silicone all the way around will be fine. If you have no leaks or heating/cooling issues, you will probably be just fine.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

I did scrape everything clean of silcone and prior gasket.

My concern is if I could put it all back together too tight and create a space where coolant can leak through despite me gooping it up.

If just waiting the 24 hours is my only issue, that's not a problem! I have not replaced any coolant yet.

I saw a video where the guy let the silcone tack, and then he place the metal plate (it was not a t-stat he was working with) back in place with hand tightened bolts until the sealant began to present itself out the sides. And hour later, he then torque them in place. I am concern if I didn't do this, that I will have to start all over again.

Thank you, I truly hope I can take the first post and just relax and bake imaginary cookies for everyone's helpfulness!

Odds are you are ok, but don't 'goop' in the future, more isn't always better. (but I think you know that now)

Also, torque to spec, not just "tight", especially on sealing surfaces. (but I think you know that now)

When you do a new procedure, try to make sure you are familiar with the entire process start to finish, lest you miss a critical part, tool or sequence. You are doing fine though, so don't lose confidence either... ;)

My vote is that you let it sit until tomorrow morning, fill it up, burp it and run it. Obviously let it get full hot, drive it, etc and check for leaks. In the slim case there is an issue, you'll have time to address it as well.

B

May I ask the last time the timing belt has been changed? :whistle:

Odds are you are ok, but don't 'goop' in the future, more isn't always better. (but I think you know that now)

Also, torque to spec, not just "tight", especially on sealing surfaces. (but I think you know that now)

When you do a new procedure, try to make sure you are familiar with the entire process start to finish, lest you miss a critical part, tool or sequence. You are doing fine though, so don't lose confidence either... ;)

My vote is that you let it sit until tomorrow morning, fill it up, burp it and run it. Obviously let it get full hot, drive it, etc and check for leaks. In the slim case there is an issue, you'll have time to address it as well.

B

May I ask the last time the timing belt has been changed? :whistle:

I truly appreciate your words of encouragement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My timing belt was changed in 2012. I did have a look at it, becaues I was contemplating changing it since I was doing the other stuff, but I couldn't figure out how to get that doodad off that holds the pulleys (if it's with a chain wrench, mine was too short). The belt looks good, it's wet looking though. There was some greasy grim hiding the indentations though. So I have a new timing belt/ water pump, for when I can either sort it out on my own, or land a boyfriend that also knows what he's doing in that area! LoL

Why does it say to use the gasket and the sealant? And that's how I originally found it.

BTW thank you for your cheers and your pompoms! I was sooo nervous putting coolant in, but yay, I've been driving without leaking coolant! Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blush02:

Sometimes you can use a gasket tack adhesive to hold it in place for assembly. However, usually a part has a gasket between the mating surfaces like exhaust or silicone a front timing cover for example, but not both.

I always smear a little silicone on all my gaskets just to account for any irregularities in the mating surfaces. Be careful with a thermostat though. You don't want excess goop to break loose and clog the bleed hole in the thermostat