Roof rack help!

GreenMachine96

so the roof of a WD21 is longer than the R50?

I know you want to keep the basket but I think if I was doing this I would lose the basket and shorten the front tubes so the rear one will fit on the roof, but it's your truck.

so the roof of a WD21 is longer than the R50?

I know you want to keep the basket but I think if I was doing this I would lose the basket and shorten the front tubes so the rear one will fit on the roof, but it's your truck.

Yes i do want to keep the basket. If there wasnt a basket i would of pulled the pathfinder one instead of this xterra one. I just wanted something different. Its more about function first and form second....and saving money where i can.(i dont have enough of it..lmao!) This project will cost me less than $75. The basket will be used for wet clothes and towels from tubing with the fam ily. In snow or river.

That's what I'm getting at, but if you trimmed the front to level on the roof, then cut an inch or so off the top of the basket, mounting it from the sides, you will be able to run the modified basket & not have to build spacers

Okay here how its sits. Thoughts? I loose my ability of my sunroof unless i mount washers on the basket to raise it a few.

Personally, I don't ever open our sunroof, and only look out of it if I have a load on the roof rack. I see no harm in raising it enough to allow you to use it though. Just your call, really...

I like it. Once its dialed in Ill give it a fresh coat of black paint. I will definitely do a detailed write up on this.

Looks good to me! You might want to check out the plasti-dip stuff, it seems to work really well. I'm hoping to sandblast mine before I mount it.

Yes please on the write up, I'm sure quite a few people will interested. :aok:

Im asumming you mean to pull the basket up hinced the cutting of the top mounts. If you notice the side shot the basket it is sitting flush on the sunroof. If you also notice that back how big the spacer is will be in back. Id have to trim alot of front piping to level it out. I dont mind the spacers. Im thinking whats. Bothering me is at the end with a open back. Of rack. Trying to figure out how to close it off.

Well, a plug or cap would be ideal, but might be a pain to find/make and it might limit how you cut the end. Hard curing expanding foam would seal it off nicely and be paintable as well, no matter how you cut the tube. Just a thought...

B

That's what I'm getting at, but if you trimmed the front to level on the roof, then cut an inch or so off the top of the basket, mounting it from the sides, you will be able to run the modified basket & not have to build spacers

Good idea!! Then my sunroof can at least open and possible tilt. I will be putting this up next weekend.

Precise1...plasti dip, ill look into it. I didnt think about expanding foam on my cut off in back. That would workout pretty good. Ill try to be through on the write up. One more question. Now the cross bars....If i decide to run the. Spare up top.(31" now 32" in future. Should I rest it on the bars and strap it down or should i take the mount off back and figure out a way to bolt to roof. As you can see, i try to everything myself to cut cost and focus more of the money on the suspension.

A little bit of info with some links: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/36195-anyone-heard-of-dip-your-car/?hl=plastidip&do=findComment&comment=678619

You have an R50 with an external mount, and you want to put the tire on the roof? :scratchhead:

Most people use aftermarket baskets, but in this case I would probably put the tire on the roof between the rails and cross bars (snug it in) and tie it down. There are some raised strips you can put on the roof to protect it somewhat, but a tire shouldn't damage it.

By all means, save $ when you can...

B

I know. Sounds crazy. I thought the bigger tire, the more stress on factory arm bar mounts. Thanks for all your help.

Hey, to each their own, but it's not how I would do it is all.

On the previous WD21 model the tire carrier is quite 'overbuilt' and people regularly hang 33" tires (with steel wheels) off of them, along with gas cans, high lift jacks, etc without issue. They have even kept the vehicles from sustaining damage when hit from behind...

I have never had the opportunity to inspect a R50 tire carrier, but if they are anything like the previous generations, just putting a larger tire on it is not an issue. Not trying to talk you out of it, just saying.

You can set up a poll thread about the size tire people have on their R50 carriers and ask them to describe any issues. Might want to post it in the R50 section though, and perhaps I should move this thread there as well?

B

Thanks guys for all your input. 32" will probably be my biggest size. If i can add a jack and gas tank to stock tire rack with a 32". That would be great. Maybe im just over thinking this. Just wanna do it right the first time. Thanks again

I run a 33 with a heavy steel wheel on my 95 carrier with no issues. I think I need to tighten it up though, it rattles at the mounts off road. The wd21 racks at least are strong, I think you could jump on the hanging tire. I got rear ended by a Chevy 1500 & between the tire rack & trailer hitch it totaled his truck & I drove away without a dent. The tire rack is slightly bowed but works as good as new.