Considering an R50, need some help

Hi all,

WD21 owner here, might have an opportunity to pick up an R50, have some questions for the experts:

1) Where would be typical places to look for rust if there was going to be any?

2) Any maintenance issues I should expect between 250,000-275,000 km? (Truck currently has ~260,000 km it)

3) Can someone post up the GVWR? and I am correct in believing the curb weight is ~3900 lbs? Trying to figure out the gross cargo weight capacity...

Thanks,

Northbynorthwest

Edited by northbynorthwest

Rust in the strut area. Look at the strut, you want to check out the area directly behind it. Then inspection on frame for rust as you would a WD21 truck.

Maintenance wise. If its a 3.3L has the timing belt been done? And when? Hows the tranny fluid? Then normal stuff really. Oh the valve covers like to leak just like the 3.0.

Most R50 have a max GVWR of 5000-5150. The highest for the facelift ones. Probably because their actual curb weight is higher than a non facelift

Sent from my Moto X

1) X2 on strut towers and general underneath inspection

2) They have basically the same maintenance requirements/schedule as a 1994-95 WD21, 160,000 kilometer timing belt intervals, etc.

3) I'll check when I go outside, but the R50 tows/carries about the same amount as a WD21 (we have both). The stiffness of the springs of each individual vehicle probably makes more of a difference than any rating difference.

B

Also check when you drive it to see if it has what I have found is a common issue with R50's over 140,000 miles and thats the rear upper and lower control arm bushings. Trust me you will know if they are bad as you will get what is known as the "death wobble" when going down the road.Not a hard fix as im fixing to do mine. Just bought new upper and lower control arms with new bushings already installed for ease of installation. Just my 2 cents.

How much rust is too much? Had a casual glance at it, there is a little rust at the top of the wheel wells and along the frame rails but it "appears" to still be confined to surface rust. Anyone have any experiences to suggest that it might turn out to be worse than it looks?

And for more specifics the truck is a 2002 VQ35 auto

Last thing... how much would you pay for a truck like that? (2002 R50, VQ35, 260,000 km, some rust and a couple of regular maintenance issues that need to be addressed) I know geography is a huge part in vehicle values, but giving me a range will at least help me figure out if the value they are asking is in the right ballpark

Hard to answer that, you know better than I, but I will say that $3k for a running, 12 year old SUV in decent shape is not a bad price in most books. If you can expect to put a little into it (hopefully doing the work yourself), I think it should work out.

How much rust is too much? Had a casual glance at it, there is a little rust at the top of the wheel wells and along the frame rails but it "appears" to still be confined to surface rust. Anyone have any experiences to suggest that it might turn out to be worse than it looks?

And for more specifics the truck is a 2002 VQ35 auto

Last thing... how much would you pay for a truck like that? (2002 R50, VQ35, 260,000 km, some rust and a couple of regular maintenance issues that need to be addressed) I know geography is a huge part in vehicle values, but giving me a range will at least help me figure out if the value they are asking is in the right ballpark

Check the rust a little better, especially around the strut towers, there was a recall about that? (check the Garage/TSP-Recall section)

Bring along a little hammer and tap around, you'll be able to tell the sound of solid metal VS mush or the hammer making dents/holes. ;)

B

So accounting for the northern BC surcharge (Any selection is at least 500 km away so if it starts, runs and drives its worth 2 grand, right?), $3000 is probably pretty fair?

Just paid $2995 with safety. etest, taxes and plates etc..for my '03 .I'd say their after an extra 5$.

Edited by kdj