1993 Pathfinder XE - Some questions..

MrEviLDeD

Hey everyone!

Back this time I think and time to get back to this Pathfinder. Health and personal issues kept me out of the game for the last year and some. Anyhow you're all warned.. IM BACK!.. Just kidding.. :)

Anyhow. I have some questions for you guru's..

1) When the head lights are off I hear a buzzing, humming sound coming from inside the dash board (Note it sounds like it is coming from behind the dash on the passenger side.) When I turn the head lights on the noise stops. What could this be? It only happens intermittently and when it does happen it is directly tied to the lights. When I turn them on the noise stops, when I turn the off the noise starts. I cannot locate a reason so any suggestions here would be very much appreciated.

2) When going over bumps or ridges in the road it sounds like something is knocking in the back of the Pathy. Could this be the body-to-frame rubber? Could this be cause by the springs? The shocks were replaced last year as some would remember the old one completely breaking off. Sounds like something is loose and knocking around however I cannot repeat the problem while not driving and in that I am unable to hear for myself where the knocking if coming from.

Its time to finally get this Pathy on the road as well as my sorry butt driving it. So look for another count down soon as I can get her in for the Out of Province inspection done again. If all goes well there wont be a count down and it will go in and come out certified. Either way if it doesn't then I will document my progress again with some better videos and images dealing specifically with the work at hand unlike the last time.

Cheers everyone! Keep your 4 wheels on the road!

Matthew

Edited by MrEviLDeD

Round two!

That buzzing is weird, especially with the lights shutting it down. I can't think of anything on that circuit that should buzz. All I can think of is that turning the lights on is reducing power to something else, or something else has been wired to the light feeds for some reason. My dad had a beat Chevy pickup for a while that had the headlights and the radio wired together for some reason. All I can think of that should be able to buzz in the dash are the blower motor and the power antenna (if equipped). I'm still at a loss for how either of those would tie into the lights, but you might try unhooking them and seeing if it still makes the noise. If that's not it, start pulling fuses until the noise stops. IIRC the square-dash rigs had cruise control on the headlight stalk, maybe something's knackered in there and the cruise is trying something? :shrug:

At the shop I worked at for a while, we always checked swaybar endlinks for clunk noises. If you've got a tire carrier (can't tell from your sig pic), it could be the bushings on that wearing out. Mine rattles like mad if I slam it shut, and sometimes it gets going on bumps, more of a rattle than a knock though. I would also make sure the tire change jack isn't loose in its little cubby. Might help to have a friend drive it while you're sitting in the back, get a better idea of where it's coming from if nothing else.

• Like 1

For the clunk, the first thing I would check is the exhaust hangers. If one is broken or the rubber torn, that will allow enough twist to possibly let your tailpipe tap the body or frame when you hit bumps. Always check the easiest things first. If all looks good with the hangers, check to make sure the tire carrier latches nice and snug. THEN I would start looking at suspension.

• Like 1

Appreciate the responses. yea the noise has appeared since I bought this one. I have kind of dug around to see if I could figure out where it was but what it drew down to was that it isn't happening in the engine compartment. (Update: today when I got in the passenger side head light was out. Seems there is some loose wiring going on. The connection seems good but one of the head light wires appears to have a break in it someplace. When it goes out the default running lights do not come on even) so I suspect that it has something to do with this circuit as mentioned above. Now to just start pulling fuses (thanks for the advice there) to see what causes it to stop. Everything under the dash on this pathfinder looks like it is stock Even had the stock radio in it still. I believe the fellow I bought it from bought it from the first owner who owned it her whole life) so nothing really has been modified except the fuel lines :) The second owner put rubber lines in her.. <shrug>

I will do as suggested and get a friend to drive while I am in the back. The tire carrier on both of my pathfinders are inside the hatch. I have the jack tightened in its housing so shouldn't be that. I will get under tomorrow and have a look at the exhaust connections.

Thanks everyone!

the buzzing from behind the dash could also be the small vac pump that connects on the back of the hvac system. when i reinstalled my radio the other day the wires were hitting the the open blades on that pump, but it could be something else.

Edited by Kurruppt

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, it has the daylight running lights. I thought at at first. However when I went under the hood the noise could be heard from the other side of the firewall not from the panel where the module is. It hasn't happened in a while so its good for now. When it happens next I might just start taking the dash apart to locate it. I am hoping that I can access the sound from the removal of the glove box as that is where it sounds like its coming from when it does happen.

With that said I will keep my eyes out for a couple of replacement modules just in case. Thanks for the idea.