91-93 Instrument cluster interchangability

Dma251

I'm wondering if anyone has swapped out their 91-92 cluster with the 93 cluster, which for purely aesthetic purposes, I like better.

I Have played around with different LED lighting in the older model cluster, but have not gotten the exact result I want. I am going to pick up one of the 93 clusters this week at my local JY, but I am thinking I may need to do some splicing if the connectors are different.

I thought I saw a post on here a while back about another member looking for info on this, but my searches couldn't find it.

Anyone done this or know about it?

93 is still the square dash, but it has no voltmeter, but has red needles and simplified design. 94-95 was the round dash. I have a 5-speed, so I have to try to find one without the indicators...

The local yard gets $21 for a cluster, so it's a cheap project.

I believe the only difference in interchangeability is the square VS round dash. They should swap fine within both groups, and any wiring connectors should be there already. It seems Nissan pre-wired the trucks for virtually all options... :aok:

Odds are the differences you see are due to trim level or perhaps a dealer package. Post pictures of what you plan to do, people will be interested. ;)

B

I've been considering this for a while, but it's not quite that simple. The connections are not the same for the 93, and some key indicators moved from the lower bezel to the main cluster, and vice-versa. There are also a couple extra indicators on the 93 (Check Engine and ABS) that don't exist (at least on mine).

I've been mapping the different wires between my 90 and the 93. The hardest part is trying to create an interface harness so that I don't have to cut into the factory harness.

For what it's worth, 89-92 all appear to be interchangeable - but the 93 is unique.

It is done, and I'll post pics soon. It can be done pretty simply, but you do have to cut off the connectors and splice the wires. Not hard at all for anyone with any electrical experience.

Xterra, you are 100% correct about the differences and extra lights. I don't see that as a problem. You get to choose if you would like to keep your cruise control and defroster lights down in the cluster Bezel where they are on the 1991-92, OR you can have them up on the left warning light panel of the cluster. I just left mine where they were and disregarded those wires.

I will finish it up and post some pics later today.

FWIW - if you are into upgrading to LED light bulbs, for a brighter night lighting, this is a great swap!

It is done, and I'll post pics soon. It can be done pretty simply, but you do have to cut off the connectors and splice the wires. Not hard at all for anyone with any electrical experience.

Good to hear - I'm looking forward to the write-up & pics. :aok:

For me, I don't want to permanently change the harness - I guess it's just the purist in me. :shrug: or :crazy: (take your pick)

Just like I used an adapter harness when I replaced the factory head unit, I want to create an adapter harness for the cluster so it can (easily) be put back to stock at some later date. (In fact, I haven't done anything to my truck that can't be reversed, with the exception of cutting holes in the dash pad for the inclinometer.)

Edited by xterra
  • Like 1

I used to feel that way too, but it's not gonna be easy to make the female side of your adapter harness. The connectors on the clusters are formed in the plastic, not standalone connectors, obviously. Every connector (there are three on the 93) will have wires that need to be going to different places. The color codes are all correct, just in the wrong places. If you use insulated spade connectors, you could do it, and still be able to reconnect your old cluster if you wanted. Ultimately, some splicing has to occur.

I also took the opportunity to change the mileage on the new cluster to reflect my pathfinders actual mileage. That is no simple job, but can be done if you have the tools and skills.

Here are some pics, but there really is no write-up to be done.

step 1. cut off the connectors from old harness.

Step 2. splice wires onto connectors that you hopefully clipped off the 93 donor-harness.

Step 3. Plug it in and cross your fingers!

IMG_2853.jpgIMG_2860.jpgIMG_2863.jpgIMG_2862.jpg

• Like 1

here's a picture of the harness after cutting and splicing the 93 connectors on. Also a couple pics after I put it back together.

I took these in my driveway with a bright sunlight outside. They are easy to read in daylight, but in my garage they dimmed down to a nice level at night.

Total cost was about $25.IMG_2864.jpgIMG_2865.jpgIMG_2866.jpg

• Like 1

Nicely done, and thanks for the write up! :aok:

I do question the loss of the volt meter though. Do you plan to mount another one elsewhere? They have given me valuable info over the years, so I think all cars should have one.

A volt/amp/max load/rpm gauge wouldn't be hard in new cars these days, but considering that WiFi flat screens are more important than gauges... :shrug:

*points* It broke, you fix! I watch movie! P...

B

I'm gonna miss the voltmeter, as well. I think I am going to install on of these in the location of the cigarette-lighter, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Volt-Car-Boat-Red-LED-Digital-Display-Panel-Voltmeter-Waterproof-Gauge-Meter-/251773254931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9edafd13&vxp=mtr

I have a 10w USB powersupply under the dash, and that gives me all the USB power I need, and I definitely don't need the cig-lighter. Someday I may make a switch-panel that fits where the ashtray is, too.

Edited by Precise1
deleted duplicate ;)

One last thing - Don't worry if you find an auto or manual 93 cluster. buy the best priced. I have a manual, but I carefully removed the plastic panel that shows the gear-postions. I wiped it down with alcohol and hit it with Rustoleum chalk-board spraypaint. It perfectly matches the matte finish of the other side. You can't see the markings at all. Problem solved!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for a new cluster for my 92 5spd 4x4. Can't find anything at the junk yard. Do you still have the 92? My speedometer needle is broken so I constantly have to use my phone. If you still have to older cluster I would buy it off you.