Some 2wd off road action pics. No lift, stock suspension flex pics

RCAR50

So my wife, son, two of the dogs and I decided to take Blondie out for the maiden voyage after the new wheels and tires, trimming, roof rack and rear spoiler just to have some fun.

We live in the mountains so 10 minutes up the road is some decent trails. We didn't get into much since it was just us with no rescue vehicle or cell service.

This is a great little hill right off the main road...

20150222_154114_zpspyrj0mng.jpg

Will soon be my new pic...

20150222_154034_zpsd5twtidt.jpg

And a shot from the back..

20150222_154341_zpsigv61stj.jpg

Then we headed up a couple other trails where I found the need to turn around without much room to do so..

I got it teetering on the left front and right rear tires. This is full droop in the rear

20150222_163008_zpshmnl1bwh.jpg

20150222_163027_zpsbjxjjpnx.jpg

And full droop up front... its hard to see but the tire is actually off the ground.

20150222_163058_zpsxdyvvnmy.jpg

You can see the rear tire stuffed into the wheel well, it fit pretty good but rubbed alot at those angles..

20150222_163108_zps8fmbxwcz.jpg

I was a bit let down with how limited the flex is, but I need to remember it's a stock height 2wd truck. It does pretty good really.

So would removing the rear sway bar help any?

Then on the way home we found a few puddles on the trail and got it a little dirty..

20150222_183419_zpslcfcuzep.jpg

It was a fun trip, I'd like to get a few trucks together and go wheelin' so I wouldn't have to be so cautious of getting stuck and having to walk miles to get home.

Edited by RCAR50
  • Like 1

I really like the look of those Xterra wheels on your caR50! Nice flex shots.

If you are looking for some more off-road capability, remove the rear sway bar. Drive for a while with it off and see how you like it.

If you plan to continue driving on terrain that will challenge the suspension travel (and cause a rear tire to lift), consider getting an ARB air locker. A locked 2WD can be pretty capable if you drive wisely.

thanks guys:) I think I will pull the sway bar off in the next week or so. I'd love to lock the rear end but that is a little bit out of my budget right now

Edited by RCAR50

• 2 weeks later...

So I jacked up the truck under the rear tire and measured it to the top of the wheel well, removed the sway bar and links and jacked and remeasured...identical numbers. I didn't drive it in between removing and remeasuring but I'm not sure that would change anything.

I did take pics and I might post them this evening once I get in and sit down. Wish it was easier to post pics on this site...

I'll drive it around and see if it feels any different and maybe lift it again at a later date to see if the numbers changed .

The sway bar shouldn't affect anything while parked. It will change how it transfer weight side to side while moving. It tries to keep body and axle level with each other. Not what you want when you're high siding it offroad , but try an off ramp at speed without one and you should FEEL a difference. Some use a quick diconnect link.

Edited by kdj

Show it off, I have found absolutely every person I have interacted with on this forum to be excepting, friendly, helpful and informative. You won't be looked down upon for being 2wd here, your a pathy owner.. so your family.

Enjoy the forum :)

So here are the before and after pics of the sway bar removal. Pretty much the same pics but thought it would be good to post incase others are interested in the difference after removal.

Here is the before pics, I know its not the safest way to lift a corner and I don't suggest doing it this way, but I wanted to lift it from under the tire not from the axle and I didn't have a forklift..

This is lifted to the point that the opposite rear tire had just one lug barely touching the ground all measurements were taken at this point.

20150308_123321_zpsq5mh3ely.jpg

Top of wheel well measures 49"

20150308_123249_zpsqrg7a4uw.jpg

Shot of right front with right rear lifted roughly 38"

20150308_123452_zpsxtyjazfd.jpg

Left side droop, I didn't measure this but I guess that would have been the better measurement to take since the sway bar would allow the body to lean to this side a bit more...oh well.

20150308_123340_zpslmxzjnpv.jpg

And the front left tucked a bit at 32.5"

20150308_123513_zpsnazj26pm.jpg

I should have got under it and checked to see if the bump stop was bottoming out and if trimming it would allow a bit more flex and if it would cause any undesired contact between other components..maybe next time it lifts a leg I'll look under it.

For the heck of it...

one sway bar bushing mount shot and I removed the bracket that mounts the link to the frame

20150308_130727_zpseh3gwyw6.jpg

20150308_130714_zpsu9xtb2jq.jpg

Edited by RCAR50

I haven't driven it yet besides re-parking it, but I actually noticed the best example of the results after parking it and was heading inside, I glanced back at it (as I always find myself doing as I walk away from it, I really like this truck) and noticed it leaning downhill.

Just as kdj explained above, this will allow the body to lean more and not be forced to stay parallel with the axle which will be beneficial off road.

This is my nightly parking spot

20150308_163747_zpsggsla4te.jpg

High side...notice the amount of wheel well above the rear tire...

20150308_163759_zpslecznmn6.jpg

and the low side...

20150308_163813_zpsl7j9rp6q.jpg

I'll report after I drive it, though off road will have to wait until next weekend

Edited by RCAR50

Here's mine at almost 200,000 miles still running great(especially now that I've replaced almost all the evap system, $$$). I've done all leds in the dash and the outside lights, new tires, new Gabriel struts and coil overs, Monroe shocks, k&n filter for air filter, NGK plugs (platinum) and wires. And a bra for the time being as it holds my driver's side front corner lamp in. Lol Also have a double din cd,mp3 player and speakers. I love it and this makes my 5th Pathfinder!

Whatchugot this is your 5th PF and you have been timid to show it off?! You probably know more about these rigs than many of us! That's a clean looking rig!! Nice list of upgrades/ repairs. Please show us your LED interior. Did you stick with OEM colours?

Very nice looking Pathy Whatch!

My philosophy is simple The more pics the better! Get it out there and seen, its a sweet ride..

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't driven it yet besides re-parking it, but I actually noticed the best example of the results after parking it and was heading inside, I glanced back at it (as I always find myself doing as I walk away from it, I really like this truck) and noticed it leaning downhill.

Just as kdj explained above, this will allow the body to lean more and not be forced to stay parallel with the axle which will be beneficial off road.

This is my nightly parking spot

20150308_163747_zpsggsla4te.jpg

High side...notice the amount of wheel well above the rear tire...

20150308_163759_zpslecznmn6.jpg

and the low side...

20150308_163813_zpsl7j9rp6q.jpg

I'll report after I drive it, though off road will have to wait until next weekend

How was the driveability on the road without the sway bar? How was the cornering? Did you notice the rear end bouncing around at all?

I'm also very interested in ride quality without it, about to dive into my suspension mods. I'd like to remove it 1) to improve off road capability, 2) save money by not replacing links and bushings.

It's been awhile now and to be honest I don't think I feel a difference in every day on road driving. My wife swears she feels the body swaying on normals turns and she doesn't like it. I'm thinking of putting it back on to see if she notices. I haven't been off road yet, just too busy.

Wish I could be more informative...I'll let you guys know how it goes and if I get off road anytime soon, might be awhile so don't hold your breath.