HID Lights

daczone

Well I did something stupid (1st time this year I swear). I put HID bulbs in my Pathfinder. And they are REDICULOUSLY bright!!! (I haven't driven it on the road)

I thought I could get away with it, Bought a HID kit with HI/LO beams. But as you all probably know there is no CUTOFF to keep the light from blinding oncoming cars. So I've ordered a set of projector lens.

Your probably asking, why not just use the Halogens, mine simply were not bright at all.

Now the question is where to put them. I thought about buying a set of "CRYSTAL CLEAR" housings and mounting them right into the lens. But on 2nd thought I am thinking of just mounting them to the left of the headlights in the grille and using the standard headlights for off-road use. Opinions?

The kit I bought was a 55 watt AC Bi-Xeon they have a little solenoid the moves the bulb out for hi-beams. AC HID's are suppose to be better than DC, though I probably should have gone for the 35 watt version. :(

I am still asking why not just build or buy a relay harness for your stock headlights?

Either you are going for form followed by function, or function followed by form. With the relay mod, 14awg wire bulb connectors, and a decent set of halogen bulbs you will have a great amount of useful illumination. The stock lenses are glass, and although plain looking, they actually work pretty well.

If its just the look you're after, then I guess glue those projectors on somehow and commence irritating other motorists.

How about fixing up your headlights the right way, and then turn that hid kit and projectors into offroad lights?

All due respect.

All due respect, the only thing that you really need to do is focus your head lites down below the level line. You will find that you won't be blinding the oncoming traffic and still get the most out of the lights. I have the hid lighting and had some of the same concerns. I adjusted the lights and nobody has flashed they're brights at me and yet I can see so much better than before. Safety 1st.You really need to know where you are looking/going and can only hope to do so with good lights. 55 watts are just fine and legal. ?

Yeah no... The HID's in place of the Halogen bulbs have no cutoff. The cutoff comes from the projector lens. No amount of aiming them down will fix them. HID lights are so much better than Halogens, that is was the goal. I currently don't drive at night with this vehicle and will make it right. I'd love to be able to purchase a HID lens for the Pathfinder with 2 lights per side, but I suppose with the age of the vehicle the only thing I could do would be use a 3d printer and make my own. Anyway more work than I really care to tackle right now.

I'll post the completed project when I get my lens.

BTW the HID's have a relay to power them.

I am still asking why not just build or buy a relay harness for your stock headlights?

Either you are going for form followed by function, or function followed by form. With the relay mod, 14awg wire bulb connectors, and a decent set of halogen bulbs you will have a great amount of useful illumination. The stock lenses are glass, and although plain looking, they actually work pretty well.

If its just the look you're after, then I guess glue those projectors on somehow and commence irritating other motorists.

How about fixing up your headlights the right way, and then turn that hid kit and projectors into offroad lights?

All due respect.

is there a how to on how to build your own relay? i did it before on my other pathy but i cant seem to find it anymore...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/4945-headlights-performing-poorly/

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

fskc HID lights. They all look blue, and blind everyone. Every oncoming car that clearly has them I just leave my brights on. I have the relay mod done and I have a good set of halogen bulbs. I can see perfectly.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/4945-headlights-performing-poorly/

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

fskc HID lights. They all look blue, and blind everyone. Every oncoming car that clearly has them I just leave my brights on. I have the relay mod done and I have a good set of halogen bulbs. I can see perfectly.

True of those that put use HID's as a replacement bulb for standard lights. True HID's in projectors focus the light. The projectors provide light cutoff that doesn't BLIND oncoming cars. I have factory HID's in my other 2 cars and love them. I have seen the BLUE ones. 5K color should be a bright white. 6K and up tend to give off a bluish color.

P1030110-1.jpg