Good gas mileage in town but horrible on freeway

RCWD21

1990 Nissan pathfinder. Vg30e. Recent major tune up and rebuilt transmission with aftermarket cooler. I get great gas mileage around town in pretty moderate stop and go traffic with a speedlimit between 25 and 45mph. But when I drive 45 miles over to Jacksonville and back (90mile round trip) I burn almost a half a tank. I only went over 3k rpm shifting a few times when there was a lot if traffic behind me. Other then me and my 2 friends there wasn't that much weight in the vehicle. Everytgingnis set to spec according the the FSM. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I've never experienced this and I've owned several Nissans. PLEASE HELP!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats literally the only thing I haven't replaced yet. Mainly because it looks like if I remove it its going to destroy the threads in the bung. I checked my ecm and I get code 55. I'll try the other mode where it monitors the sensor but is there also a way for mW to check it with a multimeter while its running? I can make a harness adapter for it no problem.

Have you actually done the fuel mileage calculations? Reason I ask is that its well known our fuel guages are not exactly accurate all the time. What kind of mileage are you expecting? What kind of tires do you run? What pressures? Are you lifted or stock? Alignment ok? Air filter and box clean and clear of obstructions? When is the last time you changed the oil? Too much oil can cause issues. Have you recently changed where you fill up with fuel? What kind of fuel. Sorry for all the questions but there are lots of things as a possibility.

I'd like atleast 14 to 17mpg. I run Goodyear wrangler radials 235 75 15 I think, at 26psi. Air filter is new and every inch of the intake system is clean and free of obstructions. Oil is fresh and still golden stock ride height. Alignment is correct. I get my fuel from the shell station. 87 octane. No vacuum leaks all new gaskets and seals exept for the head gaskets. Everything engine wise is up to spec. All belts and fluids are new. I drove it from norfolk Virginia to Morehead city north carolina at an average speed of 75mph. I left with a full tank and had maybe an 1/8 once I got home. The gauge didn't work when I got it but I cleaned the contact on the sending unit and it works reliably now. I realize this being 4x4 and being as heavy as it is its not going to get fantastic mileage but ibwould like it to be as best as possible.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I'm really just hoping its just a faulty gauge. I have another sending unit out of a 96 hardbody that I was thinking about swapping in if the wiring is the same just to see if it made a difference

Its not in power mode. Both modes work and I can achieve torque converter lock up but at slower constant speeds between 40/45 it fluctuates but I may try that lock up switch method to see if it will help resolve that issue.

Heat up the o2 sensor and replace it. It will make your mileage terrible and not set a light when they go bad. Bad enough to affect things but not bad enough to set the light. You can just let the engine run for 10 minutes and get the pipe hot, I've never had a problem getting one out that way. Good luck.

I'll spray it down with penetrating oil and get it hot and try and take it out again. If I break it off I have to replace everything from the Y pipe back because someone stupidly welded EVERYTHING from the cat back. They even put the muffler in with the weep hole on the top side. Not to mention the cat rubs against my crossmemeber and the rear hump by the axle is wrong and when I hit a bump it slams into the rear suspension so I have to baby it when I drive...

I just don't want to snap it off or break the bung. Everything from the cat to the very end is welded together and I don't have the money to replace all the pieces like I'd want to. Let me put the rust thing into perspective if I can, there's so much rust that when I tried to remove it the first time the bung twisted the tubing so I left it alone. Plus its mounted on the upward side around 1 O'Clock and not closer to the side like its supposed to be. I'll try and post pics of this hack job that is currently my exhaust system later

Edited by RCWD21

Worst case scenario (if the sensor snaps or falls apart inside the hole) you can drill it out and re tap the threads or have a new bung welded on at a muffler shop for very little money if the hole is totally pooched. They won't have to pull the exhaust just to weld in a bung

It needs to stay where it is, by Federal law to within a couple of inches.

Before you randomly change the O2 sensor, check it. IIRC it will put out voltage between 0-1 volts during correct functioning, but if it is stuck or malfunctioning within this range, the ECU won't know that there is a problem. Test it cold, hot and while running...

B

Actually, the O2 sensor should read essentially 0 volts until it nears the ideal air/fuel ratio, at which point it should jump up to aprox 1 volt...

Edited by Precise1

I'm in North Carolina, I don't have to pass emmisions. I'll test it tomorrow at the shop so I can also try to remove it if its bad. But on a different note what else could it be if the sensor is good and working correctly? I've double checked all wiring and it all checks out. I set ignition timing when I did the major servicing when it was on the stand. Could a bad TPS also cause symptoms like a bad o2 sensor?