center console question

ahardb0dy

Could someone measure the length of the center console for me please? Front to rear.

Anyone know what year they changed the switch locations in the console? I've seen the switches in front of the shifter and also behind the shifter near the little ash tray.

Thanks

Ha, wish you would've asked yesterday...I had the console completely out to swap around my power receptacles (one has been replaced by a USB/AUX pod for my radio), and also to fix my shifter (wouldn't alwyays disengage from park). I will get you measurements today.

I think I've got the same curiosity as you...the shifter bezel on older models had 3 panel holes between the dash and shifter. When I had everything apart, it seems like the holes would interfere with the shifter, since there's some sort of tray on the shifter that would interfere (and ends up being covered by the bezel anyway). I've got the ashtray between the shifter and cup holders, but haven't yet seen the other console configuration you mentioned.

I've been thinking about some future switch locations myself. Decided I'm going to replace the DIN pocket with a blank for adding other accessories, like AMPS mounting holes for a GPS, additional switch holes (for OEM or non-OEM switches), or 12V sockets (or for other socket-sized accessories, like a dual USB 1A/2.1A charging port). I was toying with the idea of making some made-to-order configurations.

I'll also post some pics up, just in case.

I'm just curious if the newer R50 console is longer than what I have in my Hardbody, every time I try to picture the newer console in my truck it seems like there isn't enough space between where the shifter is and the storage box area.

I'm going to swap the newer console into my 93 Hardbody when I can find one from a 2wd manual trans PF

My hunch is that the 96-00 PFs are where you'll need to start. I have an 04, and the center console looks almost identical, but they are different in the way the meet up with the dash.

Here's a better angle from a 97:

Unknown.jpg

On mine, the center console has little wings at the front that integrate into the dash. If your dash and center console are anything like my 98 Frontier 2wd, the shifter bezel is not connected to the dash or center console. That's how it appears to be in the pic.

The length of my console from the most-forward point (where the tip of the tape measure is tucked) is 38", but I'd imagine the 96-00 consoles to be closer to 34" judging by the pic below (sorry for the blur). Hopefully someone else can confirm.

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

Are you just looking for a place to add some switches?

I'm looking to swap the console so I can have the cup holders and the larger, taller storage compartment/arm rest is nice too.

Being I have a 2wd Hardbody I don't have to mess with the E-brake as it is below the dash and I have a manual trans so no problems with the transfer case shifter, just have to find a console from a 2wd Pathfinder, which isn't hard down here as 90% of the PF's I see in the junk yards are 2wd's.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Gotcha. Would this work for you?

IMG_0326.jpg

This is from my Frontier, also MT with the e-brake on the dash. I'd take dimensions, but it's a few states away.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a direct bolt-in, since the floor pans should be very similar if not the same. You may also have options from Frontiers and Xs up to 00, including some integrated consoles that don't have the shifter bezel and center console separate like shown.

Is that console one piece all the way to the part around the shifter? What is the round part just behind the shifter? another cup holder? is that stock?

Thanks for taking the time to get the measurements for me too ! I'll have to measure mine tomorrow, may be going to another junkyard on Tuesday that I think has the newer pathfinder and a few Frontiers.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Nope, it's two pieces. The shifter bezel has a large cup holder and a little tray about the size of an older iPhone (to the left of the shifter). The center console has two cupholders.

You can see a little carpet between the two, but unfortunately I don't have a better picture of the split:

IMG_0323.jpg

Yep, it's stock and what came with the truck (a King Cab). Here's the parts explosion from Nissan:

http://parts.nissanusa.com/nissanparts/?action=replacement&groupid=N&sectionid=969&jointvehid=9808&siteid=14

There was a similar model that had a shorter storage box and two more cupholders molded in the rear (same length of the console overall), but not sure what years it was in...perhaps a Crew Cab or X? Not very useful for a Std or KC, though.

You'd also need some brackets underneath, if you went that route. For the shifter bezel, it's integrated into a large metal trim ring that also held a rubber seal over the transmission. It's a pain to remove; you have to pull back the carpet a good amount to get to the 10mm bolts. You'd be better off fabbing something with sheet metal or L-brackets. For the center console, you can see the two metal brackets in the parts explosion; no problems detaching those.

You bet. This is from the brochure:

1998_nissan_frontier_extended-cab-pickup

The shifter bezel is obviously for a 4wd, but same 2-piece setup. Since the Frontier was a minor redesign of the HB, all the tunnel dimensions should be just about the same. There's probably a bunch of stuff that carried over.

What's your interior look like anyway?

I had a pocket under the radio, guess it was for an optional CD player, I installed gauges in it now, Have a regular rubber shifter boot, than a few inches of carpet behind the boot, than a console with a square pocket and the storage compartment:

6j21zn.jpg

pics when I first bought the truck:

22yl1t.jpg

2dtt8us.jpg

The size of the shifter bezel looks about right; if anything, I'd think the Frontier one might be just a little bigger. The arch of the tunnel looks about right, too. Though, is your shifter centered in that bezel/boot, or is it offset to the passenger side a little? I wouldn't think so because aside from going from KA24E to KA24DE, I think the 5-speed was the same (and the same for 4WD models).

It's interesting looking at those pics...aside from the obvious aesthetic changes from 93 to 98, I definitely see the core of the Frontier in it. I know because I've removed seriously every part of the interior (including carpet, headliner, rear panels, and ECU) for various installations and repairs. Memories.

Now that I think about it, my shifter was centered, too. The hole in the carpet was offset, which means maybe the Frontier one might sit a little offset on yours. Hopefully your local JY has some to check out.

IIRC, it's pretty centered, near the tail of the transmission. But the transmissions were different between 4wd and 2wd now that I think about it. And I think the 4wd had linkages for the t-case, so it'd fit off to the side. I pulled the transmission down once to change the clutch, but also to replace the front and rear seals. Also not-fun jobs.

I do most of my own work on the truck, but for any big jobs I take it to my buddy, he has a lift so it's easier for him to do it and he takes care of me price wise, for example, when I bought a Brand new 5 speed tranny for my 90 sentra to replace the stock 4 speed, he swapped the tranny and replaced the clutch cable for me for $80

96 SE manual transfer case, and manual xmission here, and my switches are behind the shifter near the ashtray. I was going to throw the measurements up as did someone above just to reaffirm, however my tape measure is ninja. "may have left it at my buddys house while wrenching on his Heep YJ. not sure. (sorry about that)

Pat