Screws

xterra

Having personally used a torx bit on a allen head bolt at the JY recently, I can appreciate this. I'm sure others here feel the same way.

screws.png

(Credit to Randall Munroe of xkcd.com - a great geeky comic)

• Like 3

Fortunately, I have dealt with all of those (and more) for decades so I have pretty much every driver available other than security and 1 way screws; no need for those, yet.

Years ago I had an engineer borrow some 3/8 drive torx bits to work on his Mustang. I had fun with him when I said "I hope these work on your Mustang since it is standard measurements when I bought these for my Nissan which is metric." and walked away. I was told he looked very confused. :D

Oh, you forgot square drive...

B

it's Robertson

"Scrulox® is another Robertson Invention. An 8-sided (double square) decorative design that can be used with a standard Robertson bit, or for additional torque, a Scrulox®8 bit. These double square fasteners are used on Haulmark trailers and other industrial designs."

Edited by ahardb0dy

How about tri-square? I became acquainted with them the other day replacing a seat belt receiver on a Volkswagen. Luckily my boss had the set, because my tamperproof kit didn't have anything like it.

I haven't run across Phillip's head, but then I don't generally look in the trunk.

I prefer the Robertson Square Drive for my woodworking because the bit doesn't typically slip out of the screw.

Many years ago I had the misfortune of coming across one of these inside some electronics I was working on: 40px-Tri-Point_screw_head.png

I prefer the Robertson Square Drive for my woodworking because the bit doesn't typically slip out of the screw.

Many years ago I had the misfortune of coming across one of these inside some electronics I was working on: 40px-Tri-Point_screw_head.png

I found one of those Y shaped one the other week while fixing a VCR tape...yes I have VCRs.

IIRC Henry Ford was going to use the Robertson screw in the model T's but the Philips screw was cheaper. So because of this everyone who owned a Ford bought a driver and their popularity spread from there.

I understand that the Phillips head was particularly useful in the automotive assembly industry as well, The engagement geometery is designed to pop the driver out at a certain torque, so they prevent stripped threads and are 'self torquing'. The very thing most of us hate about them is actually a specific design feature and part of the reason they became so prevalent.

B

Backwards? :shrug:

• Cross-head, or Phillips screw has an X-shaped slot and is driven by a cross-head screwdriver, designed originally in the 1930s for use with mechanical screwing machines, intentionally made so the driver will ride out, or cam out, under strain to prevent over-tightening.
  • Pozidriv is patented, similar to cross-head but with better resistance to slipping, or cam-out.

http://inventors.about.com/od/sstartinventions/a/screwdriver_2.htm

Robertson drive head has a square hole and is driven by a special power-tool bit or screwdriver (this is a low-cost version of the hex head for domestic use).

Oh, look, square drive! :lol:

B

I understand that the Phillips head was particularly useful in the automotive assembly industry as well, The engagement geometery is designed to pop the driver out at a certain torque, so they prevent stripped threads and are 'self torquing'. The very thing most of us hate about them is actually a specific design feature and part of the reason they became so prevalent.

B

Don't agree, just cheap so they survive.

Along with drawers of bits/drivers, I've got access to an electronic flame less torch, normal torch set, plasma cutter, cut off wheels, many drills... I don't care what the dam shapes are called or who named them, I'll get at least most of it out.

• Like 1

Do you mean you get" at least most" of the fasteners (i.e. 4 out of 5) or "at least most" of the fastener ((over 50 per cent) out.? HA One of the best things I ever bought was a Dewalt impact driver. 18v will pop out old rusty Philips and nuts and bolts that I would only strip by hand. Other than that cut offs , drill and the grinder are my best friends. Sounds like you're ready for what ever pops up. Wishing I had a plasma. What kind do you have access to?