Creature Comfort

daczone

So I bought a HOMELINK mirror for my pathfinder and am thinking of adding heated seats, but wanted to discuss ride quality.. Does the pathfinder ride rough or do I need to grease fittings and replace the shocks?

I have the orginal shocks with the electric SPORT setting (or whatever the button says... Sorry don't recal) and it doesn't feel bouncy which is what I think shocks control, but feels like a stiff ride. Certainly no Toyota Tacoma which is what I am comparing it to.

Could be stuck in the sport mode. Mine rode like a dream with the adjustable shocks.

As for heated seats the easiest way is to grab a set from the jy and the sub harness that goes to the switches and seats. Its under the carpet but easy to disconnect and pull.

Yeah I guess it says Touring (Not sport)... but the switch doesn't seem to do anything. There is an LED on it that never comes on. I'm guessing it's unplugged or a fuse issue. I know I do have the electric shocks for sure. We'll see if that makes a difference in ride.

You may just have seized shocks? When I first picked up my old 93 it rode very very stiff. Turned out the shocks were so shot that they were actually seized . No bouncing, but VERY rough and stiff ride. When I pulled them they were so stiff I couldn't even compress them at all with all of my 250 lbs of body weight. Put in some cheap Monroe shocks and it rode beautiful after. Worth checking? Pathfinders ride quite nice with a good set of shocks so I would guess that may be your problem?

It's not an LED in the switch it's a regular bulb, they do burn out and are easy to replace, Radio Shack has the bulb.

To test the adjustable shocks,

Instead of just pressing the switch one time fast, press and hold the switch for a few seconds, try the comfort setting first, make sure you have the key on when you try this,

Standing outside the truck, either side, press against the roof of the truck and try to rock the truck from side to side, notice how easy the truck rocks.

Now press and hold for a few seconds the adjustable shock switch to the other position , may say Sport , repeat the rocking the truck test, if the truck seems harder to move than the shocks are working.

Another way is to open the rear hatch and press down on the floor, do it in both shock modes, you should easily feel a difference on how much the truck will go up and down, if the shocks are working.

As for ride quality, the pathfinder does ride good, but you have to realize, the older Pathfinders (WD21's) are trucks built on a frame and are not really designed to have a "Cadillac" ride, they can and will ride good, based on how well the truck is maintained, tire type and condition, etc,

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 4 months later...

Here is how I fixed this issue, ymmv... In my 93, i never noticed a difference and could never convince the suspension to stay in touring mode for more than a few seconds according to the light at the switch. It would hit a bump and the light would come right back on. Well, about a year ago, i replaced the rear springs woth Moog's, and cleaned all four connectors at the shock tower and performed the torsion bar height adjustment per FSM in preparation for a cross country trailer tow. Now if i press and hold the switch to touring for 10 seconds (or so) the light goes out and the ride becomes perceptibly softer and more absorbant on bumpy roads. My original rear springs were extremely saggy, and my theory is that it wouldnt let the suspension sag for some reason. A cheap(ish) way to test might be to put in those spring helper air bag things that you stuff inside the springs...