Supercharged 3.3

ebayfish

I stumbled across a complete supercharged 3.3 I believe out of an '04 frontier. If I were to swap out my 3.0, is the supercharged a direct bolt in like the standard 3.3? Do I need the ECU or is it plug & play? I have a '01 Xterra transmission(non supercharged) currently behind my 3.0, will this work? Will I have to hunt down an '03-04 flex plate from a unit with a supercharged tranny to adapt it?

I believe the supercharged just had the HD version of the 3.3 transmission. I cannot say for sure about the torque converter being the same though.

Technically you could run the supercharged engine on a vg30 ecu and as long as you have a wideband o2 gauge to monitor the air to fuel ratio, then you would most likely be fine running the supercharged engine with a stock tune. The factory tune is very rich... you would definitely want some monitoring going on though.

ideally you would install the ecu from the supercharged 3.3 but you could also tune a vg30e ecu to run the supercharged engine as well.

I suspect the biggest difficulty would be re plumbing the coolant and vacuum lines to fit your engine bay but shouldn't be too bad. I'm sure you could adapt the iacv and emission controls from the old engine but you may have to get creative.

Basically, you can definitely do it if you swap ecu and harness as well, you most likely can do it if you are good with electrical and can get creative with some custom work.

Thanks for the input, the same guy is selling the supercharged transmission & transfer case for only $500....I with that was around back when I did my swap. Do you think the extra work would justify the supercharged version, or if I do the swap, would you stick with the standard 3.3l? I'm still debating what to do, my 3.0 is running like a top, now up to almost 180 HP. & not sure if it would be worth the return; but it would be great to have the extra push.

It's the large torque increase that you really notice. Vg33 swap really transforms how the truck drives in my opinion, but I did headers and exhaust at the same time as the swap so I had a very pronounced change I suppose. With a supercharger it would be a massive jump in torque. I would personally swap in the supercharged motor if i had the opportunity. I would personally just run the factory vg30 ecu and just get a tune for a supercharger on it. That would be the easiest way. Your call, but I would definitely do it!

I was wondering the same thing. I have a 3.3 swapped in, still using my 3.0 ecu and accessories. That was a nice difference for sure. Would be cool to add a SC and a tune. Nefarious what exhaust did you go with? I have pacesetter headers and a stock exhaust right now.

I'm running obx headers with a full custom exhaust. 2" off the headers into a 2.5 " y pipe and 2.5" from there on back. MagnaFlow hi flow cat and a Flowmaster 40 series muffler, which I will be changing soon for a magnaflow 18" muffler.