Engine rebuild and...?

nomadpath

My '87 with 230K is having some serious troubles. It's leaking fuel. I put dye in the gas and I see a faint glow with the UV light on the front diff and area. there's a ton of oil there too, fuel and oil appear mixed. I can't tell exactly where the leak is though. It's had oil leaks for a while, no smoke from the exhaust though and no real drip marks under it...at least not much.

I'm guessing the solution is gonna require an engine rebuild at least...maybe more?

Does anyone know of a good mechanic in the SF bay area who could do the rebuild?

On top of that I get a grinding sound after I put it in reverse something to do with the 4x4 (hubs, diff...?), only solution has been to shift it into 4 high and back into 2, after that it drives fine.

love the truck and well...dropping $2-3K on the rebuild is still cheaper than a replacement. But opinions on how deep the cost could run or input is appreciated.

Sounds like just leaks to me. Have a look at the clamps that hold the rubber between the fuel rails, those tend to leak. Also take a look around the gas tank for leaks there. For the oil leak, try tightening the valve cover screws, they leak from the valve cover gaskets sometimes. It could be leaking in other, less accessible places, but try tightening stuff first, wipe up as much as you can, and see if it keeps doing it.

Your grinding noise sounds like the automatic hubs are going out, but it could also be CVs or something else in the front end. I would pull the hubs and see if the noise goes away. If it does, either pick up a better set from a wrecking yard or buy manual hubs. Manuals are a great upgrade IMO and aren't that expensive or hard to install.

That would be great. I'll check the clamps. The gas tank area seems to be clear. I've tightened the valve covers down...I think there are other leaks coming from lower down..maybe a bit bigger leaks. I'm mystified where so much gas could be going, I think I'm getting like 8mpg.

I'll trying pulling the hubs, hopefully those are the issue instead of something more serious.

thanks for the advice.

If you drive like a hooligan the TBI V6, I am assuming you have the V6, will suck the fuel down. If its an auto tranny thats not helping any.

Like said before, I would check for leaks first. Maybe check codes while you are at it.

It is the v6, 5 speed though. Haven't been driving too wild..not at all really.

Only sign of the gas issue has been watching the gauge go from full to half after about 50 miles or so, all freeway.

There are definitely oil leaks from the valve covers, need to replace those gaskets, but the gas leak (if there is one) is still a mystery. cant figure out where it's going.