New tire advice

AlphaGeek

Hi guys and Happy New Year!

Need to replace the tires on my '98 Chilkoot; the tires on it now are Wrangler A/T 265 / 70R15 and they're getting pretty low. I can't seen to find the Wranglers in this size around here but Canadian Tire has the following available:

BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A

Cooper Discoverer A/T3

General Tire Grabber A/T2

Other than general driving (and snow) my off-road requirements are pretty normal; I'm not driving in extreme conditions. Any thoughts on which of these is optimal? I'm leaning towards the Grabber from GT but before I commit I thought I'd check here and see what you knowlegeable people had to say.

thanks,

-Arne

BFG T/A are a classic that bites well, rides well & has a good treadlife. Also check out Kelly Safari TSR, surprisingly good tires for pretty cheap

Edited by ebayfish

I haven't owned any of those (and don't drive in the snow) so I can't say much, but I think I recall from previous discussions that that the General Tire Grabbers are the same as the Wranglers?

Anyway, in the product Review section there is a thread with pages of tire discussion/recommendation. Probably your best bet for info...

B

Hey B,

Thanks for the responses guys.

I can't find anything related to tires in the product reviews forum... there are only a few posts there with no actual reviews... Did something happen to that forum or am I missing something?

Anyway, thanks for the advice and it does look like the Grabbers are very similar to the Wrangler AT's. Couldn't find the Kelly's here. The BFG's are certainly excellent but I'm leaning towards the Grabbers as they rate at 96,000 KM vs 80,000 for the BGS's. Plus (he says sheepishly) those Grabbers look pretty damn boss :-)

I'm in the same boat as you. I do go to the snow sometimes. I do little off road.

I went with a little less aggressive tire so I could head the radio when going down the road. I bought Hancook Dynapro AT. They clear the mud out of the tread well. I did plow through some deep snow and had no issues.

I'm not saying to go buy them. Just a suggestion.

I've had pretty good longevity & overall good performance with nitto Terra grapplers and toyo open country on my diesel trucks. Both have an aggressive look, but also decent & quiet on the highway.

Hey B,

Thanks for the responses guys.

I can't find anything related to tires in the product reviews forum... there are only a few posts there with no actual reviews... Did something happen to that forum or am I missing something?

Anyway, thanks for the advice and it does look like the Grabbers are very similar to the Wrangler AT's. Couldn't find the Kelly's here. The BFG's are certainly excellent but I'm leaning towards the Grabbers as they rate at 96,000 KM vs 80,000 for the BGS's. Plus (he says sheepishly) those Grabbers look pretty damn boss :-)

Sorry, I've been here so long I forget not everyone knows their way around. :doh:

I'm guessing the reason you don't see it (it is towards the bottom of the first page) is because you display settings aren't set to 'show all' in the time frame setting.

Go to the Product Review section, and just above the first post is a blue bar with a few a few sorting options. Click on 'custom' on the far right, go to the bottom selection (time frame) in the pop up window, choose 'show all', check the 'remember filters' box and clicl on 'update filters' button. You should be able to see it now, and here is the link regardless. http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/5948-the-unofficial-tire-review-thread/

Oh, every section has seperate display settings so you might want to repeat it.

I'm in the same boat as you. I do go to the snow sometimes. I do little off road.

I went with a little less aggressive tire so I could head the radio when going down the road. I bought Hancook Dynapro AT. They clear the mud out of the tread well. I did plow through some deep snow and had no issues.

And they do look good as well, I've seen his Pathy...

B

The Dynapro MT are a good choice as well and are quiet for a mud tire, been running them for a few months now and cant hear them at all although that could be down to having the diesel and a decent sound system :unsure:

If you are not in a rush I would keep checking out online classifieds. I got all my tires on Kijiji and have a summer set (Michelin LTX/AT @ $350 w/mags) and winter (both almost brand new) for less than one set of new tires. I'm running Yokohama Geolandars I/TS for winter and love them...amazing on ice/snow and channel water/slush like a champ. Those were brand new and got them for $400 cdn. Both sets are 31x10.50 r15...your tire size is actually easier to find deals on.

Bottom line...there are many deals to be had. I see you are in Vancouver so not much snow but for the times you do get it snow tires are the only way to go. I have friends running both the Grabbers and BFGs and they are ok in the snow but have little grip on the icy stuff.

I personally do not like Cooper, and General, unless they changed them lately ( The General's) used to really suck, I used to always run BFG, first the AT's in 35's on my former hardbody, than every tire after that were 33" MT's, with one exception when I moved to Florida I had a set of Bridgestone MT's, they were very close in tread to the BFG MT's.

My buddy has BFG AT's on his Toyota and when I moved from NY to Florida he had about 70K miles on his and they still looked like new.

Been running the General AT2's on several vehicles for a while now and can tell you that they are worlds better than the old grabber at's. They have been great in all on road conditions (really shine in the snow), great in most off road situations (mainly backwoods hunting trails and the beach for me) except real slimy, greasy, thick mud. They are all getting good tread life too. I've had the coopers on a different truck, I'll just say I won't even consider them ever again. The BFG Rugged Terrains are ok (have a friend with them) but in my opinion not worth the extra money. Someone else mentioned the toyo and nitto all terrains, both I've had experience with, neither were impressive in any particular area, both were less than good in the snow. Basically, my personal preference is the Grabber AT2, from my experience, they are a very capable, good wearing, budget friendly tire, though they are a little louder than the others you're considering.

Edited by 01Pathmaker

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody seems to talk about weight here. I compared the BFG's, duratracs, geo lander, Toyo Open country MT and the Nitto Trail grapplers. The Nittos were the only one weighting 30lbs, the Goodyears and BFG about 40 and all others 60!! Now I'm doing this post by memory sorry boys and girls, but the idea is still valid.

To me it seems that a tire that weighs half of that of another, even if it is a bit pricier or isn't THE best tire in the world, if that weight difference doesn't make up for it. I mean it gets pretty good reviews and it looks great. BTW this comparison was all done for 33x12.5/15.

My concern with upsizing was rotational mass, fuel economy and loss of power. With a "light(er)" tire, that should help counter that problem, no?! So how important is weight in comparison to all the other factors? Especially where none of those tires are bad!

BFG tires have that tri guard sidewall which may be why the tire is heavier, the KA2 says the sidewall is 20% stiffer, I guess than the previous KO tires.

a 31/10.50/15 is about the same size as the 265/70/15 other than the 31 is slightly taller, the 31 weighs 42.6 pounds.

I do not see a Nitto tire in either a 31" or the 265/70 size to compare.

firestone_destinationmt-LG.jpg Firestone Destination MT - 61lbs

Nitto-TrailGrapplerMT_lg.jpg Nitto Trail Grappler M/T - 31 lbs

Goodyear_WranglerDuraTrac_lg.jpg Goodyear Duratracs - 48 lbs

toyo_open_country_mt_large.jpg Toyo Open Country M/T - 72.8 lbs

BFGoodrich_Mud_km2_lg.jpgBFG T/A KM2 - 48.2 lbs

cooper-discoverer-STT_lg.jpgCooper Discoverer - 60 lbs

Found it really interesting how HUGE the differences in weight are for a tire of the same dimensions, in the same classification, Light Truck, All Season, off-road. Even the lightest tire has reinforced 3 ply sidewalls.

Edited by CDN_S4

I think where ever you got the weight for the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T is wrong, I just found it online saying it weighs 72.8 pounds

Oh yah?! Interesting. I got the info off of 1010Tires.com. Considered them a pretty good source of info, but mistakes happen. It was too good to be true to weigh half of most and 10ls less than Duratracs. Dammit... Those were gonna be my next tire mostly for that reason. I'll do some more cross referencing of the data provided, but I'm afraid you are probably right.

Found some sources say 30's others 70's...Nitto website doesn't seem to give a weight. Maybe I need to access the full site from a computer, not a phone. Anybody happen to have these tires and know for a fact?