i need help asap

azdevil1981

mad sensor? MAF? :scratchhead:

Can you hear the pump run? If not, did you check the wires back there for voltage? Do the VG30i have the same fuel pump relay as a VG30e? Check that as well.

B

Yeah I can hear the pump run. It all started about when I was sitting at the stop light and the it died. I got it restarted but it ran rough. I get stay on the gas pedal to keep it running. I did put a new Max sensor first. I could spray carb cleaner in the throttle body at it would stay running that's why I put a fuel pump in it. I have had the injectors tested a few months back when I was having some issues. They were flow tested and checked out OK then.

It certainly sounds gas starved, bit there are a few sensors that could be messing things up (O2, coolant temp, etc. Have you checked to see if there are any codes on the ECU?

Have you checked connectors and jiggles wires?

B

Well, you replace everything on the top of the block, the wiring harness, ecu and some misc electronics, fuel rails, etc. I haven't done it, but a few here have; it is best done with a running donor vehicle and is a fair amount of work.

Fuel filter is fairly new. Where is the temp sensor?

If it is the same as the MPFI units, it is in the side of the coolant port, top center of the motor. There will be two, the front being for the gause, the rear for the ECU IIRC.

Sorry, I don't have any TBI diagrams to reference. :shrug:

B

• 2 weeks later...

The ECU has five different modes of operation, and it flashes both lights together the number of times for the mode it's on, cycling through them until you select one. So they flash once for mode 1, pause, twice for mode two, pause, three times for mode three, and that's when you stop it to read the codes. I turned the screw again on mine, I assume you move the switch on yours. That should make it spit up its codes.

Keep in mind that a bad sensor or sensor circuit won't always throw a code. If the computer isn't getting usable data from one of its sensors, it can (for some sensors) disregard that input and try to work around the problem. If it gets data, but the data is wrong, it'll try and adapt to whatever condition it thinks it's up against. If it's trying to idle in your driveway in Arizona, but a knackered sensor or faulty wiring tells it that the cylinder head is thirty degrees below zero, or the throttle is wide open, or something else along those lines, it's gonna have a bad time, and it probably won't be able to tell you why.

Ain't OBD1 fun?

The write up for checking the ECU is in the Garage/How To section. It is not that hard to follow, and is better than nothing. Maybe it doesn't help, but it won't hurt.

I do like OBD2 better, but your pay for it in systems and sensors as well.

Injectors working or not? Seem to isn't much to diagnose from...

Can you hear them clicking, smell gas, etc?

B