new timing belt/off markings

Skwerlb8

Like it says.. doing water pump timing belt and thermostat.. everything is going back together nicely..except that darn belt! I've got all the markings lined up on the motor but the belt just won't line up to them (white stripes, dotted line) Everything i can find says these marks MUST line up.. is this actually true or can i just line it up as close as i can and proceed?

The marks on the belt must line up with the dimples on the cam/crank sprockets, or you risk improper mechanical engine timing. Are you making sure that the belt is facing the right direction? There's usually an arrow on the belt the should be pointing forwards towards the very front of your truck. Once you know the belt is oriented in the right direction, keep rotating it until you find the marks the are CLOSEST together. Those will be the two cam sprocket marks. I usually line up the two cam sprockets first and then place on the crank sprocket and tensioner last. Make sure the tensioner is rotated to the full loose position and start by placing the belt only half way on to the splines up top, the will give u bit more room to get it around the bottom areas.

When I changed mine, if I remember, my passenger can was off one mark, I set it to the mark on the belt & ran it, but it did not run well. I did some research & saw others had the same issue & reset it one tooth off how I found it & it runs smooth as silk. Not sure if its a miss an issue, or a misprint on the belts, but one tooth off worked well for me.

40 teeth between the cam marks an 43 between the drivers cam and the crank marks. This is right every time. The nissan belts (and good aftermarket ones like gates) have marks that are always right.

Tooth count is key & always correct, if you search the forums, others have had the exact same issue. BTW, I always use Gates belts. If you haven't, it would be a good idea to replace your tensioner, water pump, thermostat & coolant bypass hose while you have the cover off.

• 3 weeks later...