1998 Pathfinder Battery Cables

ONe21

I've been having some starting issues due to my positive battery connectors being loose and some cable corrosion. I want to replace it all, but the pathfinders have a mess of wires that are in a harness and several connectors. Has anyone changed out this stuff? I'm going to look closer tomorow so I can see where everything runs, but I thought I would ask to see what others have done.

Alright, I finally got around to looking at the cables again. I took some pictures to make sure we are talking about the same stuff here.

DSC02630_zps7d3488a2.jpg

DSC02632_zps03927c10.jpg

So the fusible links are the two wires going to the red connector from the fuse box, correct? Do these power the fuse box? I'm thinking that since it would be a complete headache to pull the wires from the stock harness and re-run new ones, I'm going to cut the connectors from the alternator wire and what I assume to be the fusible links and get a new terminal that will accomodate all of the wires. Does this sound like a good solution, or should I just buy a new stock connector?

The negative cable is a no-brainer, I'm going to buy a new terminal and crimp some new connectors to a new wire.

Edited by ONe21

I guess to simplify my question... what is the red box and what happens if it is eliminated along with the male connectors? I want to cut them and just clamp the wires to a new terminal.

nothing about that terminal looks like it needs replacing....I'd just give it a scrub with a wire brush, same for the clamp. then use a little dielectric grease when putting it all back together.

If you've been having starting issues, have you checked the condition of the battery? just a small drop in voltage can make every thing real crappy.

Bushnut, that sounds like the path of least resistence. I guess I need to fight my urges to go farther than I need to. The battery is a 750 CCA/900 CA Bosch that is less than a year old. Really the issue that brought my attention to the cables/terminals is, while I was in India, my wife got stranded the other week back in the States because the terminal loosened itself. She wasn't too happy with the situation as we are newer-ish to the area and don't really know many people we can ask to help out. I just want to make sure that it doesn't happen again for her sake and the kiddos.

It's probably my fault, as I have done work several times under the hood and probably banged the positive more than once. I haven't re-tightened it in quite a while. I'll just clean everything up, grease it and re-tighten everything and I should be good.

P.S. I still would like to know what the red connector is and what it's purpose is. It looks like it may just be a "collector" so that everything can connect to the terminal. Thanks for the help!

Bushnut, that sounds like the path of least resistence. I guess I need to fight my urges to go farther than I need to. The battery is a 750 CCA/900 CA Bosch that is less than a year old. Really the issue that brought my attention to the cables/terminals is, while I was in India, my wife got stranded the other week back in the States because the terminal loosened itself. She wasn't too happy with the situation as we are newer-ish to the area and don't really know many people we can ask to help out. I just want to make sure that it doesn't happen again for her sake and the kiddos.

It's probably my fault, as I have done work several times under the hood and probably banged the positive more than once. I haven't re-tightened it in quite a while. I'll just clean everything up, grease it and re-tighten everything and I should be good.

P.S. I still would like to know what the red connector is and what it's purpose is. It looks like it may just be a "collector" so that everything can connect to the terminal. Thanks for the help!

Collector might good "terminalage". If I spelled that right. You just can't clamp that many wires to one battery terminal post. I don't know about what kind of area your wife lives in but...I've helped a few people on kijiji in my area Last time I did it for someone, her battery was dead because see kept trying to start it after it was out of gas. I got her some gas, gave her a boost and she made it to her dagauter's dentist appointment. She did have a neighbour watch out the window just to make sure I was a nice guy willing to help and not a perv.

you could eliminate the stock terminal and the red connector if you wanted too, you would have to cut the ends off where they plug into the red part and install them either into a large butt connector or put a ring terminal on each wire than connect to the new terminal.

This is how I did it in my former sentra and my current hardbody:

5o4k0.jpg

I cut the plugs off of the fusible links on one end, than stripped the wires and put them all in a large butt connector, the other end of the butt connector I put in a short length of 6 gauge car audio power wire with a ring terminal on the other end, than I installed the new ring terminal onto the new battery terminal, only down side doing it this way is if one of the fusible links takes a crap, I would have to cut out the butt connector and re-do it.

here is how the new terminal looks on the battery, the large cable is the one that goes to the starter, the other cable is for plug in jumper cables, I later replaced the negative terminal too:

2r5coia.jpg