Steering Shaft

ebayfish

While working on my 3" body lift, the biggest problem I ran into along with the dozen or so mall ones was the extending the steering shaft on the spines. We tried penetrating oil, beating & banging on it, even hooked it between 2 trucks & pulled with a ratchi-strap. We finally got it to spread with a high lift jack & chains. we clamped vise grips on either side above the spines & it finally moved. Hopefully it goes easier for everyone else, but I'd figure I'd share if anyone else runs into the same issue.

20141212_144145_zps9c55c4a5.jpg

Did you ever apply heat? And how early did you start soaking it with PB Blaster, usually best to start a few days to a week or more ahead of time., then if needed couple it with heat and cool cycles.

But, you got it and that is all that matters in the end :aok:

alignment can straighten the steering wheel

Yeah probably, but after taking mine to three different shops and having each one screw it up I do my own in the driveway now. I was thinking I could adjust the tie rods and get it straightened out but that job ended up low on the list.

It's easy to do in your driveway. Just have someone sit and hold the steering wheel perfectly centered while you adjust the tie rods (I use the string method, but there are a few). After swapping pitman arms/switching to 2wd steering, you get good at re centering things :P