missing link

AkPrecision

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I followed stiocs approach and it’s been working great for me. Noticed an improved on my drive home that evening. I didn’t have any tube lying around the shop so I went to Home Depot and got a black steel pipe with threaded ends for under $15 (CAD) cut the ends off, and squished them in the press. I went a little farther and rounded the ends and then welded them shut. Quick coat of self etch primer then some black paint and on it went. 

Been on my truck for about 3 weeks now and it’s not coming off. Only thing I need to do is to make sure it’s torqued to correct spec now that I have a factory service manual. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

*also on my phone at the moment so if you want pics I can put them up later*

• Like 3

9 hours ago, herotrooper said:

I followed stiocs approach and it’s been working great for me. Noticed an improved on my drive home that evening. I didn’t have any tube lying around the shop so I went to Home Depot and got a black steel pipe with threaded ends for under $15 (CAD) cut the ends off, and squished them in the press. I went a little farther and rounded the ends and then welded them shut. Quick coat of self etch primer then some black paint and on it went. 

Been on my truck for about 3 weeks now and it’s not coming off. Only thing I need to do is to make sure it’s torqued to correct spec now that I have a factory service manual. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

*also on my phone at the moment so if you want pics I can put them up later*

I don't have access to a shop press, would a bench vise be sufficient? What's the best workaround for that?

Could work. If you are using a vice I’d probably heat up the metal if you can or slide a longer bar over the vice handle so you can get some leverage, or both. Lol. 

Make sure you measure a few times so when the link is attached, the round part will clear the lower control arm and the flattened piece will actually lay flat where it bolts up. 

Edited by herotrooper
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, zakzackzachary said:

You ended up buying pipe and flattening it yourself? 

Yep! 3/4” EMT. I used a vice one time on each end to flatten out about 3” per side. I also painted it, but couldn’t get a picture of it into my post

• Like 1

OK, following this thread and can someone clarify the advantage in this modification. Has been said that it improves handling and makes suspension stiffer. 

This would be a easily fabricated link if the advantages are truly significant. Please elaborate more. Thanks. MTG

So it does improve handling and stiffen up your ride. It also makes your ride stronger, and protects the front suspension from undue stress by linking those lower arms together. I legitimately noticed less body roll in cornering, and I guess its harder to prove that it strengthens the structure of your ride, but that's generally what crossbars do..... Also if you make the crossbar a certain way, it serves as a great mounting point for some skid plates

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s worth noting that it may compromise safety in a front impact as it likely inhibits ejecting the drivetrain components down & away from the passenger compartment. I’m not saying you shouldn’t do it, just pointing out pros & cons.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 10:19 PM, PathyDude17 said:

As a follow up, I went through on this approach to the missing link. Definitely added some sturdiness to my ride, and I’m very pleased with it for what it cost

4F25BDD2-50D1-4CE6-BDC5-78825D370ED2.jpeg

Just a heads up....they guy that owns jackson motor sports has stated that that was their original prototype and it works pretty much as well as the one they were selling. I made one  last week from 6 dollars worth of 1 1/4 angled steel. It’s working great and is one of the better mods I’ve done to my pathy

• Like 1