Weird electrical issues

1987caddy

Hey everyone on my 95 XE something weird is going on. The truck sits at work for 2-3 days at a time. A few weeks ago my boss called me saying my alarm was going on. Issue is I didn't set the alarm and it drained the battery. I replaced the battery under warranty but it's still doing the same thing. I doesn't happen all the time also. It sat at home for 30 hours with no issues. But today the alarm went off without being set after only 24 hours. One more thing, my boss said alarm was going off so he opened the door to pop the hood so he could disconnect the battery and the alarm shut off. This thing is driving me crazy

The extent of my knowledge of the alarm is that I unplugged mine and the truck still started. Apparently some have starter kills and others don't (or mine got hacked into at some point). I would probably try to just remove and bypass the blasted thing.

Assuming it's a factory alarm, it sounds like the "brain" may be going bad. I pulled mine out a few months ago.

It just so happens that the installation manuals are available here (http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/19755-fix-your-keyless-entry/) - so you can figure out what goes where.

Is it a Nissan factory VSS?

If it is, I doubt that a draw on the battery would cause the horn to trigger. I'd look at the door and hatch switches to make sure that they're in working order, since the VSS is supposed to be wired right into those.

If it's an aftermarket alarm, it's possible that a sudden increase in draw could be interpreted as an incursion into the vehicle that would trip the alarm, since they're generally based on current draw and not door switch.

I've drained my battery dead flat by leaving the dome light on overnight, and I don't think the alarm went off.

Then again, I've never actually tested mine to see if it works at all... and the siren from it is currently wired to a greeting card that plays the chicken dance. (I have my reasons.)