Key Release

daczone

A few things that I hate...

Is there a way to remove that mechanical thingy that makes you push the button to remove the key.

My other car is a Prius and I love the keyless entry, At first I would have the keys in my hand and then leave them in the car because I would get in and throw them into the console. Then I learned I just leave them in my pocket. I owned lots of cars but never had to deal with pushing a button to remove the key, not sure the purpose of that.

Maybe the earlier Pathfinders didn't have that? And I could swap something?

Thanks All!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

yes the push to remove the key can be removed, you will have to take the whole lock cylinder apart to do so.

here are some pics if you decide to do it:

first after removing the upper and lower steering column covers you will need to remove the 2 security bolts that hold the ignition lock to the column, I use a drill to drill a hole in the center of the bolt head than use an EZ out to remove the bolt, the security bolts snap the head off when they are tightened leaving a smooth flat surface.

once the lock assembly is removed you should have something like this, this is out of my former 90 sentra but the locks are very similar:

3580xao.jpg

There are 2 brass pins that hold the lock cylinder together, you would need to drill a small hole next to each pin, than use a scribe or similar tool to remove the brass pins, see pic below:

3580xao.jpg

pins removed, there is one in front one in the rear:

2rwark5.jpg

after removing the 2 pins the lock cylinder assembly can be pulled out, be careful of the spring and lever for the key release and pay attention to how it comes apart so it can be put back together properly, pic below:

n49i85.jpg

lock cylinder removed:

2ccvtvo.jpg

I can't recall if both rods/levers need to come out to eliminate the press to remove the key, I would remove the one with the button first and try the key, if it comes out than you are done and can re-assemble the lock, if the key doesn't come out than remove the other rod/lever also, than try to remove the key,

pic of both levers/rods:

2wmdxfo.jpg

when reassembling, push the lock cylinder back into the lock assembly, and reinsert the 2 brass pins, tap in with a small hammer, on this ignition lock the wires going to the black part are for the key in chime:

all the components laid out:

2lwtcet.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...