Manuel Transmission Problem

djeffrey

Hello, I was on my way home yesterday after picking up my new 33" KM2s that I mentioned in another thread. Which are sweet.

Well with one problem gone another has shown up. I went to back out of a parking spot and i can no longer get into reverse.

I am a standard transmission. 380k miles on it so i am sure it is worn by now anyway. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I can use all forward gears without problem. 4th grinds a bit going into it but that has been going on for a while and is subsided by double clutching. The shifter will not move into reverse. It feels locked out. I have tried every combo of shifting, 4x4, clutch, rolling, and got no changes. I have removed the shifter and moved the linkage inside the tranny in to every gear but still refuses to enter reverse.

Any ideas on this? I found one other thread from a few years ago with no outcome on his problem.

Which transmissions are interchangeable into this pathy? in case my fate is to get a new one.

Thanks for everyone's help!

That's the nice thing about nissans. The 5 speed manual for the vg30 is essentially the same from 1986 to 2004 (vg30/vg33 equipped models). There were changes made alone the way but any of them will fit and function.

Sorry I don't have any ideas as to why your trans won't go into reverse though.

Yes, I'm almost certain that the gearing for the R50 is different as it has a 10% larger motor (vg33) until 2000, 2001-2004 came with the VQ35 only in NA from what I have seen.

There is a very recent thread where outlined the difference in gearing...

Here:http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/39277-5th-gear-woes-in-a-91/?hl=gearing&do=findComment&comment=741011

In the 87-95, the gearing ratios, from 1st to 5th go like this: 4.061 || 2.357 || 1.490 || 1.000 || 0.862.

For the 1996 R50:

B

Edited by Precise1
found it
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure it is the same transmission. According to page MT-56 of the 1994 FSM, all D21 and WD21 (2 and 4wd) that have the VG30E motor also have the FS5R30A transmission and gearing. The only difference is that a 2wd D21 would have different gearing.

B

Nevermind Manuel, he's from Barcelona.

I'm looking at MT33, and it looks like the guts are indeed the same, but you'll have to swap over the back part of the casing with the shifter control housing on it from your old one so it'll bolt to the transfer case.