No fuel with new fuel pump

HeavyMetal

So, we brought home a nice 1993 Pathfinder a couple months ago. My son has only driven it a few times (his first car). He goes over to a friends, gets back in to come home and he said it didn't want to start, then it started he drove it home and it hasn't started since. I did a quick check on the FPRS, spark, etc...didn't find an issue, the relay switch clicks. We towed to a trusted shop who as been very good to us. They call and say it's the fuel pump. I told them we'll take care of it at home, as i've done a couple. We put the new fuel pump in...nothing. Today I checked the fuel lines going into the fuel rail...no fuel coming out at all (that's after the filter of course). So I then go back to the pump, pull the hose and have my son turn the key. The new pump cycles/runs for a few seconds but no fuel comes out. The starter turns strong, but won't fire. And it seems pretty clear, we're not getting any fuel. I did see a little trickle of fuel come out of the return at the pump...probably left over in the line. And when I put my finger over the fuel supply nipple and have him try to start it, I can feel a little pressure, but no gas comes up.

So, we have a new pump...with enough power to hear it turn on, but no fuel pumping. Is there something else that would cut supply at the pump other than the relay switch? Maybe the relay switch is bad even though it clicks?

I keep thinking there is air trapped in the supply line since I opened the lines when disconnecting the fuel pump and replacing and that somehow that line needs to primed/cleared? I've searched for the fuel pressue valve but can't find the little zerk anywhere and can't find a picture anywhere of where it may be.

Thanks,

Troy

Edited by HeavyMetal

if the pump is pumping, air on the lines won't matter other than to delay the starting until fuel gets to the injectors. Any air would force through the injectors or the pressure regulator and back into the tank. It is not unheard of to have a bad fuel pump. I have received 2 dead in a row for my old dodge and learned to test them prior to installing by jumping the 12v and sticking the pickup in a bowl of water. Yea, flush it out with gas before installing. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck resolving the problem.

I don't know if there is a fuel shut off switch on that, but worth looking for? Have you replaced your fuel filter? I've heard arts from pumps jamming the line through the filter. Try pull in the incurrent side of the filter & see if gas spurts out when you turn the key. Does it hit at all or just a constant crank?

make sure the fuel lines at the pump are not on backwards, it's possible the new pump is just bad. you checked for fuel at the pump so it wouldn't be a filter issue.

The fuel pump will run when the key is first turned to on to prime

• Like 1

Well, are you ready for this one? So I pull the new fuel pump back out and as I take the little short hose off the pump itself, I realize there is a clear cap covering the nipple from the factory that I slipped the hose right over. The cap was kinda yellowish and clear an would not pull off but had to be cut off...it was semisoft, weird stuff. So then I tested the pump in a can of gas, works fine. However, part of the screen broke while taking it out, so I exchanged for a new one. Wouldn't you know it, it had to be ordered an will have to wait till next week.

So basically, I'm an idiot. ;)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

• Like 1

we're all idiots at some point but collectively, as long as we all aren't idiots at the same time, we can be a pretty smart group of pathy owners

LOL, amen brother! Happy Thanksgiving to everybody!! I've have two turkeys in the smoker!!

Well, are you ready for this one? So I pull the new fuel pump back out and as I take the little short hose off the pump itself, I realize there is a clear cap covering the nipple from the factory that I slipped the hose right over. The cap was kinda yellowish and clear an would not pull off but had to be cut off...it was semisoft, weird stuff. So then I tested the pump in a can of gas, works fine. However, part of the screen broke while taking it out, so I exchanged for a new one. Wouldn't you know it, it had to be ordered an will have to wait till next week.

So basically, I'm an idiot. ;)

Don't feel bad even the pros do this:

we're all idiots at some point but collectively, as long as we all aren't idiots at the same time, we can be a pretty smart group of pathy owners

This!

Hindsight is 20/20 and a little humility may help someone else in the future who didn't think to look take the time and save from the same headache :aok:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we got Luke's Pathfinder up and running tonight! He's one happy teenager! I really do appreciate the quick response and ideas everybody posted. Honestly, it was running through those checks when I noticed that dumb cap on the outgoing spout of the new pump. We're definitely gonna stick around here! He's got ideas for some minor mods.

Thanks so much again all!

Edited by HeavyMetal
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it still is messed up. The Day we put the new pump in it fired up and we drove it home and ran perfectly fine. Then, a couple days later my son went to run an errand....and it has no power. Will idle forever, but the moment you put the gas down it sputters and bumbles an Will not accelerate. Just put a new fuel filter in it today...No change. I'm beginning to think we just got a POS and made a huge mistake. Any ideas?

Is the engine light on? Check the codes anyway. How-to in the garage section. I would start checking the MAF, and coolant temp sensors. There is info on this in the service manual which you can find a link to in the garage section.

Check the tube between the fuel rails. Mine had a small leak and caused a problem like your's. Look for some fresh fuel when to problem occurs, and tighten the fasteners. You might have to get a new tube if it's the problem.

Might check the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator if you haven't yet. It's kind of a braille thing unfortunately, right at the back of the intake.

Interesting that it ran fine once and then acted up the next time... that's gotta mean something. :scratchhead: I kind of suspect the new fuel pump, given that it was pumping against a total clog (and possibly running while full of air, if there was nowhere for it to go), but I'm not sure how that would've worked the first time and then crapped out again.

• 2 weeks later...

As previously mentioned, check the wires & connection at the MAF, vacuum lines, etc. Its amazing how much can be fixed on these vehicles simply by wiggling wires. Also, run a can of seafoam through your gas to clean your injectors & clean the throttle body. Hopefully a little standard maintenance will correct this issue. Its idling, that's a big step, it helps rule a lot of other issues. Also, you can try to unhook the fuel line before the filter, have someone turn the key. Pump the gas into a clear bottle & make sure you have a steady flow with no bubbles coming through the line. I had an issue with my F350 where the fuel pickup fell off into the the tank & it would suck air at 1/2 tank, causing all kinds of issues.

Might check the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator if you haven't yet. It's kind of a braille thing unfortunately, right at the back of the intake.

Interesting that it ran fine once and then acted up the next time... that's gotta mean something. :scratchhead: I kind of suspect the new fuel pump, given that it was pumping against a total clog (and possibly running while full of air, if there was nowhere for it to go), but I'm not sure how that would've worked the first time and then crapped out again.

well, I did some more testing and it sure seemed to point at the fuel pump. However, I'm done with it an drove it up to the shop, they tested fuel pressure and it was only around 20. So they are going to replace the pump a third time and I'm getting a refund From Advanced Auto on mine.

wait... isn't there a pressure regulator that keeps the pressure at the injectors up where it should be rather than free-flow back into the tank? trying to remember