so I installed a swing out carrier on my 2001 r50

green180

Did you make those plates? Very nicely done. Looks like you've thoroughly sandwiched the mounting area, from a fabrication/structural integrity stand point, I don't think it could get better without tying the upper and lower mounts together on the backside with one solid backing plate, but I think that would be extremely difficult and overkill.

Thank you, I made those plates as close as I could to the shape of the quarter panel, I'm thinking of attaching both plates I'm just waiting on more time I would've liked to hole saw a hole in the second layer of the c pillar and weld a pipe to both layers for more strength, I worry that over time the panel will crack around my plates

That's pretty much exactly what I did when I added a carrier to my wd21. 4 years later now and still no issues at all and it's been carrying a 33x12.5 tire. My backing plates are slightly thicker gauge steel but it really shouldn't matter, yours are ample, it's just what I had laying around.

Thanks nefarious, eventually ill install lock washers, the 2 inside nuts are welded on, on both brackets, it's tough to get my hands in there so I did that instead

Love the handy work. I should really pop open my rig and see just what nissan has put back there, for strength. Maybe it's fairly simple, I feel like looked once when Andy was putting his swing away on, anyway, if I'm bored today, I'll grab some shots.

-Kyle

Curious to know, too. I see the different parts numbers for the fender depending on if fender flares and the tire carrier were included. Definitely doesn't appear to be an extra, separate bracket of any sort.

Still, your approach is probably sufficient. Are your plates bonded to the metal in any way, like JB Weld?