Rear Squeaking/chirping

rpulwicki

I've got a long list of repairs up ahead of me on the pathy including changing diff fluids, brake fluid, t-case fluid, power steering fluid, CV axles, valve cover gasket, and a few other smaller repairs, but I have one issue that I am not really sure how to approach.

When I let my foot off the gas I get a medium-pitch chirping from the rear end, more so on the passenger side, while in gear and intermittently while in neutral as well. It got worse when I went wheeling and got everything muddy and then better after driving it in the rain for a little, but now it dropped below freezing outside and it is the loudest it has ever been, maybe because I was driving around in 4x4. There are also accompanying vibrations at around 55km/h during deceleration.

I started playing around to try and isolate it and found that if I loaded up the rear end by keeping a little bit of throttle going while braking, the vibration stops.

I have an auto but if I shift it into 2nd gear and let off the gas there is a lot of chirping. Today when I was driving it also seemed like the chirping was associated with braking as well i.e harder braking more chirping, and would continue even if the transmission shifted into neutral while slowing down. If I pulled the emergency brake so it was slightly engaged the chirping would stop.

Initially I thought it could be a bad u joint so I checked underneath and the joint was sturdy with very little movement, but it also looked very dusty, which from what I understand is also an indicator that the joint is compromised. Now I am thinking it might also have something to do with the drum brake/e-brake. I will also note that the e-brake sensor light is almost always on, and only sometimes turns off after driving for a few hours, but that started before the squeaking/chirping/vibrating.

Anyways sorry for the long winded story but I was hoping to get some advice on where to start the repairs/diagnostics. Anything helps! Thanks!!!

Probably a rock or rocks inside your drum. Pull the wheels and pull the drums off. Clean em up and lube the contact points. Also check the shoes for wear. But with the mud down here it gets inside a lot and I have to clear and clean em

Sent from my Moto X