87 Path finder Turns over but will no longer start

fonzyeyy

I've had our 87 pathfinder for about 2 months now. Last month the starter went out and I had to replace it. Bought a brand new starter at autozone, installed it and it was running great since then. Within the last couple weeks though its been getting harder and harder to start. Having to turn the key multiple times to get it started and turn it over longer and longer for it to finally start up. The other day it just stopped starting all together, it just turns over and over and over and never starts. I have no idea what to do now so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Over the last month or so it has started to develop a slight sputter/backfiring problem as well I don't know if this is connected but I thought id mentuion it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 87 as well turned out to be my steering column wire, the Hayes manual told me to check it, I gained access then wiggled the wires while I turned the key and it started.

I haven't fixed it yet lol, just give it a jiggle when I have trouble, hope I don't get stranded on day lol

Let me know if this works!