Is my Oil filter for terrano D21 Z24 engine ok?

patrickt

Hello All!

I have a 1999 Terrano D21 with a carburated Z24 engine (original on my side of the planet - philippines). I plan on changing oil like in a couple of days. So here`s my concern: I bought an oem nissan filter with part # 15208-H8990. I checked the info on the box and did not see any Z24 engine listed. I did see other applications, such as for a Z20 engine (a sub 2L engine) for a model C120, a Z18, A14 , a VG30S engine (3L) for a model C32, and a few other nissan engines.

I decided to buy it after i was assured that it would work for my Z24. I`m not really sure what they meant by "it would work", i`m guessing its just about the physical dimensions being identical. So i`m more concerned now about relief valve opening pressure, cant seem to find this spec on the net. Most if not all the dealers over here are either secretive or lazy or just dont have the info handy to give out simple info like this, i dont know... Not that i intend to wait till my oil gets really dirty before changing, just that i needed to know for peace of mind.

So would anyone know the relief valve opening pressure for this filter versus the filter officially designated by nissan? I`m guessing that as long as the valve relief pressure of this filter is in the vicinity of the correct oem filter, that i would be good to go?? Any other factors i should consider by using this filter in lieu of the designated nissan filter?? Btw, i dont do any offroading, though the streets can be pretty dusty over here. Thank You!

patrick

Edited by patrickt

The pressure relief valve is built in to the oil pump, the bypass valve is in the block, and the anti drain back valve is in the oil filter. As long as they look close to the same, go for it. I've used Z24 oil filters on VG30s without issue. Actually they're physically bigger but mount the same.

Hi Patrick,

A carburated Z24 should use part number: 15208-W1103 which changes to part number 15208-W1106

but as kingman said, part number 15208-H8990 would probably work and be ok if it was all that you had. You are correct that part number is for the old 2.0L engines.

Kingman- So my filter is actually smaller than the correct one for the z24`s, due to maybe less filter material surface area?? I guess in this case it would not be ultra critical to the engine`s health.

Alkorahil- Thanks for the part numbers.Actually i could have gotten the correct filter but got this out of convenience. Come next oil change though i will get the

correct one.

Thanks again guys!

patrick