93 SE - Front end work, ac removal?

Skwerlb8

Hello all.. as stated, got a 93 that i've taken off the road and putting some work into.

Looking at a new water pump (why its off the road) timing kit, an electric fan conversion and possibly removing the AC system.

I have found gobs of info for both timing and water pump. Even glanced something about a fan swap.. i'll be looking into that some more :)

The only thing i cant find info about is removing the ac. Tons to be found about putting it back, diagnosing and repair it.

As near as i can tell from common sense and the teardown manual.. it seems fairly straight forward.

Guess i'm looking for opinions and/or info from the knowledgeable Nissan nuts around here :)

Call around I am sure you will find a shop willing the discharged it safely, responsibly and legally (not sure what the laws are up there) and possibly even for free. I have seen some here that will not charge for the removal of the refrigerant, given that they can turn around and use, and charge for, the recovered. But then I have also heard of some who charge for removal, only to make even more reselling.

Then it's a matter of parts removal and plugging any ports you may not pull off the truck (such as at the firewall)

• Like 1

Yeah a lot of people have done that. It's pretty common in the earlier Toyota truck offroad world, I am not sure about later models. One reason it is fairly common with the 1st (79-83), 2nd (84-88) and possibly 3rd (89-95) gen Toyota's is because the Toyota compressor is an extremely strong unit and makes a great air pump, but I do not know about the Nissan compressor, I have never really heard one way or the other. Not all AC unit's are created equally.

I actually have a factory AC compressor along with a holding tank in the garage for the yota in my signature, which like most it did not come with factory AC. Another one of those things I was collecting parts for, but then other priorities took center stage and it was set aside.

• Like 1

That's quite the idea Ski... I've thought about on-board air a time or two in the past. I'd feel better re-using it than tossing it away too! :)

As for discharge laws.. i already plan on having a mobile unit come and deal with it. I do try and be enviromental where i can.

Although, while driving a thirsty little 4x4 and spending every extra dime on parts, insurance and extra fuel (i do use mine off road)..

i like to joke about my carbon footprint being jurassic in nature :D

Be cautious if you are doing the electric fan conversion. I've read that if you don't upgrade to a beefier alternator then your stock 70 amp alternator won't be able to handle running the electric fan, which can lead to flat battery, damaged alternator and even worse if the fan doesn't come on because of insufficient voltage then you get overheating radiator and stuffed water pump.

• Like 1

No worries there Terra.. an alt. swap is on "The List" A 1000w amp and 2x10's are too hard on the stock set up as it is.

I've decided to take the truck off the road for a year. The money typically spent to keep to it going will be spent on repairs and/or upgrades...

I've been running it stock, on 31's, for 8 HARD years now.. dd and weekend warrior. I love my ride..and with kids almost grown, and being single again,

we're both ready for the next steps.

The plan is to get some info and decide if the motor is worth keeping or needs replacing.. the truck itself is in very good shape and worth rebuilding.
A small body lift, beefier steering components, shocks.. all the fun stuff to accommodate bigger tires. AC goes out, onboard air goes in?

I think i'll start a build thread for myself. Would that go in the garage or where? It would be a good way to keep track of everything i want to do/have done,

as well as gathering info from the multitude of minds here at NPORA! :)