Ecu questions

Dougswd21

As a note about transmissions and ECU inter-compatibility... you can use an Auto's ECU with a Manual trans, but you cannot use a Manual's ECU with an Auto trans.

To the original poster, another ECU from an Auto VG30i "should" work but something is nagging at me about the '87's having subtle differences that could impact that. I used to have a chart that showed the numbering schemes of the ECU's but I don't seem to have it anymore. I got it at the parts counter of a local dealer so you might be able to get the same info from another... perhaps Alkorahil, our resident factory parts guy, could look up the info. Try PM'ing him if he does not see this.

It does not actually say "this can be used with that," no instead the chart is basically just a year by year listing of the ECU part numbers (there was well more than one) When I was looking for one I hit them up for advice and after he printed it and looked it over he ID'ed the key section needing to match the original to "be sure" it would work. I found one and for me it worked without a problem.

I cannot say for sure or from any personal experience that the info was true, because I got my ecu from a wrecking yard that had 3 of them, two of which did not match, but one did. That was the one I bought, installed and worked for me. It was, iirc, from an '89, my truck is an '88.