1987 Pathy transmission swap

Chadius

I have the week 3 speed transmission in my pathy and it sucks I like to tow so I was wondering if there were any adapters or if a newer Nissan transmission would work in the old pathy I believe I have the v630i ive heard of people putting Xterra trannys in the pathys but I think they had a different tranny to begin with, any info would help!

The only advantage to the four-speed AFAIK is that the fourth speed is overdrive, and if you can tow in overdrive, your motor's putting down a lot more power than mine!

I imagine the four-speed would bolt up, but you'd need the trans control unit from a later Pathy and possibly the shifter as well (to give you the overdrive on/off switch). Must be somebody who's done it. :scratchhead:

Well it'll bolt in. However the chassis, wiring harnesses are different, the ECU, the TCU, shifter, missing the power button, etc.

You'd be better off with a 5-speed or keep the stronger auto you have now.

A 5 speed would have the same issues like the wires no? Also what you guys think that tranny is capable of pulling with the vg30i in it? I'm kind of scared cause it's a 3 speed lol.

A five-speed is a manual trans, so there's no computer stuff to worry about.

I'm not sure what your worry is about towing with a three-speed. The four-speed just adds an overdrive for cruising (lower revs/better fuel economy at speed on flat roads). It's got a switch to lock out the overdrive, which IIRC the manual suggests using when you're towing something (making it a three-speed anyway). I use mine whenever a hill is involved, because my trans control unit thinks my VG30E can maintain 60 up a grade in overdrive, and my trans control unit is wrong.

If you want to protect your trans, you can put in an aftermarket transmission oil cooler to keep it cool, a filter to keep it clean, and maybe a gauge so you know if you're pushing it too hard. There are multiple threads/how-tos for that stuff.

Not sure how many times I have to say this? Your 3-speed is a stronger transmission than the non-HD 4-speeds. When towing heavy loads you don't really want to use overdrive anyway as the engine loads down too much being gutless and the transmission builds up a lot of heat.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to tow the most you can do a 5 manual swap to the FS5R30a. It is quite a burley tranny. Used in the z31, I think the z32, hardbody, pathy and I was recently informed by a foreign guy that his skyline (R32 I think) uses one.

Then headers and cams.

Or you could just leave the 3 speed in there. It will be more adept to towing as it has no OD over the 4 speed auto.

Engine swap. Vg30et will help you tow ?

Is what I would be doing if I had the v6 model.

Try towing with a z24. Would be lucky to tow a box trailer with a bag of cement in it.

If your really not up for the headache of engine swaps, stick with what you got!

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, keep your current tranny, and work on getting a few more ponies. I don't know if you can port the TBI, but headers/exhaust would help a bit as well as cams if you can go that far.

What size tires are on it?

B

Was 31s but I just bought some 32s for good looks lol. I know it's not go make help my towing. I think I'm just gonna get the cooler, I hear good things about them, as far as HP, I think I'm up for anything that doesn't require dropping the engine. You think TBI is worth looking into precise?