Need Some Assistance With Catalytic Converters

AirChime

OK, so I got ripped off on a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE, but I think I am going to stick with it. I took it in to a Nissan dealership for a recall, and they did a diagnostic. Seller disconnected the CEL, and Bank 1 and Bank 2 catalytic converters are shot. Yay me! Transmission started acting up this week, but luckily it shouldnt be too bad to fix. The transmission shop said they would install the catalytic convertors for me for free, if I bring them the parts.

So I called RockAuto, and they show "Direct Fit" and "Exact Fit" replacement catalytic converters. Some of the pictures attached to the products have a "pipe" that doglegs. Others dont, but in the product description make it sound like it will come with them. The I see that some are called a "Pre-Converter". I get confused and call RockAuto. They are confused. They say there are four catalytic converters, not two (I mentioned Bank 1 and Bank 2).

When one needs a Bank 1 and a Bank 2 catalytic converter does that mean they need front left and front rear, or rear left and rear right?

Thanks in advance.

So your truck has 4 catalytic converters. You need to get the codes it set for it to be properly diagnosed. Here are a couple of pictures to show them..

48322671fd9a7260bfabb8a6dfb97bc3_zps95b6

#3 on both sides

f6020b16552346c2340c1d9f1e49dcbf_zps51f7

#2 on both sides

Now, depending on the codes, it may or may not be a Cat issue. Did they tell you how the Cats failed? Are they broken? Are they just guessing? Yes, they can fail. But they can also be easily misdiagnosed. Ive seen Mass Air Flow meters cause issues, as well as just bad sensors. I dont think there is a ECM reprogramming for the 04's, but its been a while. I would get more info from them before you pull the trigger. Oh, the codes you get will let you know what side is the issue. The code will be follow by a B1S1(bank 1 sensor 1) identification code(there are several, thats just a example). Bank 1 on the V6 is always right bank.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

I can help you with this. I replaced all 4 of the cats to the tune of $3700. I'm familiar with the set up. I didn't do the work myself - Nissan did it, because the pipes coming off manifold are buried and my PF doesn't fit in my garage. I crawled under there a few times and said this looks like a PIA without a lift.

While there are technically 4 cats, 2 of them are after the main cats and are not in all aftermarket setups. They may also be called "resonators". The important cats are the ones coming directly off the manifold - not the ones you see underneath.

I believe the set up I ended up with were aftermarket main cats (the Nissan ones were $$$) - the rest back I went with Nissan parts.

A year and a half later no problems. My cats failed do to clogging and the vehicle lost power. Oddly, the CEL never came on. I also ended up hanging a new Bosal exhaust after the cats.

Bosal make a complete bolt on aftermarket setup from the manifold back as well.

You know it could just be the rear o2 sensors have failed. Those are alot cheaper than cats. And I think since only the main cats are monitored, you'd only have to change those. I would just delete the secondary ones or leave them alone.

If you have both of those codes at the same time, there has to be a common failure. Its very rare to have two cats on different banks go at the same time. I have reparied many of these and I will tell you what i would do. I would inspect the air flow meter. I have seen where it reads too high in its signal range without setting a check engine light. Basically, its telling the computer it has a lot more air coming in than what actually is. This in turn is making the o2 sensors read that there is either too much or too little oxygen left over after the combustion burn. The p0420/p0430 are catalytic efficiency codes, not failure codes. My money is your cats are not bad, but your air flow meter is(or you have a vacuum/air leak).

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Have you cleared the codes and do they come back right away? Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 5-10mins. To fully clear the ECM then drive it? Codes pop right back up?

Wish there was someone near you in Texas to help out on hand. If not next best bet is to get ahold of Rob on the phone and talk to him. Heck he was on the phone with me for 30mins one time to troubleshoot a sound I had right after I did my timing belt job.

Sent from my Moto X

I dont want to drive it due to the transmission stuff. That and the issue with the CEL.

I will try and get a hold of Rob in the AM again.

ETA: where is the air flow meter, and how would I know if its bad?

Edited by AirChime

I would have normally agree that it couldn't be the cats but since the previous owner did disconnect the CEL (dick move), it is a pretty fair bet that the owner neglected maintenance and allowed both cats to fail over time.

I still agree that you should check the air flow meter and the o2 sensors first.

Then I would find the PO and express my feelings through my therapeutic baseball bat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I cant get a hold of the service adviser at Nissan of McKinney. I wont bother trying anymore. I keep getting pushed off to other advisers that seem to not be able to help me.

This is what the Autozone tape says:

"Catalytic efficiency low-bank 1.

Explanation:

The oxygen sensors monitor the catalytic converters ability to store oxygen.

Probable cause:

1. Catalytic converter defective (failure possibly due to 2, 3 or 4)

2. Engine misfire

3. Large vacuum leak

4. Engine oil leakage into exhaust valve guide, seals, piston rings"

Edited by AirChime

So the transmission is acting up, and I will get it fixed. The transmission shop has offered to install new catalytic converters for free, which would save me a lot of money and time. If I go off of what a dealership and parts store say, it would stand to reason that the catalytic converters are the issue. I dont mind checking the air flow meter, but I dont know where its at or what to look for. O2 sensors were easy to replace on my last vehicle, is it safe to assume they are easy on this one, and that I could change them at a later date

The Air Flow Meter is your MAF(Mass Air Flow). Simple to check and lightly clean. BUT can be tricky on a 04 if you over do it. Just make sure you dont over spray it, and its 100% dry before re assembly and installation then startup check.

Ok the Catalytic converters, you have 4 of them. Which ones do you want to replace? If you want to do the 2 Main ones, then I highly suggest, you pick up two new O2 sensors and have them install them with them. Since they are kinda tight in there. Will save a bunch of frustration later on. With the cats out, easy access to them.

RockAuto is probably the easiest place to get them from. Since you are in Texas. Dont have to worry about California or New York certified ones.

Is the MAF in the air intake line between the filter and the engine? I ask because thats where Ford has them, and I have cleaned it before. I'll go get a can of MAF cleaner shortly.

As for the catalytic converters, I dont know which ones to replace. That is the issue. Is it the two up front or the two in the rear? If I had that info, my order would have been placed on Monday.

I have no qualms about ordering some O2 sensors either. I was actually planning on it.

You should go to the Garage section and download a copy of the FSM from the pinned thread, it will give you a lot of information on how to check sensors (usually with a multimeter) and show you where things are.

I'm all for checking and isolating the problems before replacing parts myself...

B

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that I will be changing the O2 sensors out. Am I correct in assuming there are 4 of them?

Your thoughts on these:

NTK Upstream Left: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1643118&cc=1431977

NTK Upstream Right: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1644020&cc=1431977

NTK Downstream Left: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1644446&cc=1431977

NTK Downstream Right: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1644672&cc=1431977

I cant get a hold of the service adviser at Nissan of McKinney. I wont bother trying anymore. I keep getting pushed off to other advisers that seem to not be able to help me.

I am very sorry that this happened and not pleased to hear that this happened here at all, and have let it be known. Who was it in the Service Dept that you spoke with?

I am here 9-6pm M-F in the Parts Dept here. If you need something, please come see me and I will do what I can to get things done for you. You can also call me in the parts dept. I am here to help as I can.

• Like 5

I am very sorry that this happened and not pleased to hear that this happened here at all, and have let it be known. Who was it in the Service Dept that you spoke with?

I am here 9-6pm M-F in the Parts Dept here. If you need something, please come see me and I will do what I can to get things done for you. You can also call me in the parts dept. I am here to help as I can.

I know, bro. Those comments werent in any way directed at you. You've been the best help I could find at that, or any, Nissan dealership.

• Like 1