Random picture of your R50

CDN_S4

IMG_4798.jpg

A guy in one of the FB Nissan groups I follow got stuck in some mud yesterday, not too far from my house and put out a call for some help...and apparently some half dozen other people also got stuck all around the area (lol, idiots). I pulled out one guy in a Toyota pickup, and that was fun. After I yanked him out, I then had to drag him crooked about 300 more feet so that we were both on firm ground. It kinda looked like how a boat would pull a skier, where the skier was to the side, not directly behind...except I also had to drive sideways a bit to keep momentum. Wish I had some pics or a video.

Not too shabby for ATs, but the lockers did wonders. Not sure how some guys got as stuck as they did...the guy I was actually responding was out there with a D40 2wd Frontier. Not sure what he was thinking. I suppose I should go wash it off today.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 5

IMG_4798_JPG.jpg

I suppose I should go wash it off today.

Leave it dirty for a bit, might as well enjoy the nods from other 4x4 guys on the road and the looks of astonishment from little kids, that's half the fun! B) Now that you've got your drivetrain sorted out, have you got any bumper plans?

Edited by mjotrainbrain

Leave it dirty for a bit, might as well enjoy the nods from other 4x4 guys on the road and the looks of astonishment from little kids, that's half the fun! B) Now that you've got your drivetrain sorted out, have you got any bumper plans?

My kids love it, even had my 3-yo with me on the little adventure (was better than going to Costco). Got it muddy the other week, too, and left it in the driveway for a few days, then went around with a mallet to knock all the big chunks off (enough to fill a bucket). Not a mud fan, but fun to see all the crap falling off it.

I've been thinking about bumpers a lot lately, actually. My last trip the other week punctured and dented the rear bumper on the passenger side...trivial metal damage underneath the quarter panel, and the plastic can probably be knocked out with a mallet and some heat. But fact is that it just hangs too low, as does my hitch. I've got something simple in mind, but not the know-how to DIY. There are a couple fabrication connections with my FB group, though. For the front, though, I've been eyeballing a 4Runner winch bumper that ought to be a better solution than the Cherokee bumper. 2016 was definitely a driveline year; 2017 will hopefully mean more lift and armor.

• Like 3

My kids love it, even had my 3-yo with me on the little adventure (was better than going to Costco). Got it muddy the other week, too, and left it in the driveway for a few days, then went around with a mallet to knock all the big chunks off (enough to fill a bucket). Not a mud fan, but fun to see all the crap falling off it.

I've been thinking about bumpers a lot lately, actually. My last trip the other week punctured and dented the rear bumper on the passenger side...trivial metal damage underneath the quarter panel, and the plastic can probably be knocked out with a mallet and some heat. But fact is that it just hangs too low, as does my hitch. I've got something simple in mind, but not the know-how to DIY. There are a couple fabrication connections with my FB group, though. For the front, though, I've been eyeballing a 4Runner winch bumper that ought to be a better solution than the Cherokee bumper. 2016 was definitely a driveline year; 2017 will hopefully mean more lift and armor.

I'll be interested in seeing what you do with a 4Runner bumper, but hopefully I'll have done my bumper by then. Knocking chunks off is fun and all, but it really starts to lose the fun-factor when you're kneeling in a muddy river in your driveway hosing off the chassis. :/:laugh:

• Like 1

You'd be surprised by what you can do with a little stick welder, an angle grinder and some practice. Plus you might even be able to hit up scrap yards for cheap tubing and steel if you are lucky. Kinda depends where you live though.

Looking forward to it. You have an awesome ride :)

Thanks!

I'll be interested in seeing what you do with a 4Runner bumper, but hopefully I'll have done my bumper by then. Knocking chunks off is fun and all, but it really starts to lose the fun-factor when you're kneeling in a muddy river in your driveway hosing off the chassis. :/:laugh:

Funny, I'm curious to see how yours turns out!

That's why I usually let the mud sit a few days to dry out, knock all the stuff off, take it to the powerwash, then just shovel the dirt off the driveway. But...I got restless and took it to the powerwash tonight...bad idea. The sprayer wasn't powerful enough to knock all the chunks off, so now I gotta take it back later. I always feel like a jerk leaving all that mud there, though.

You'd be surprised by what you can do with a little stick welder, an angle grinder and some practice. Plus you might even be able to hit up scrap yards for cheap tubing and steel if you are lucky. Kinda depends where you live though.

I'm hoping to get into welding this year, too. I bought a cheapo HF flux core welder last year...still in the box, though, until I can dedicate space for it. The 4Runner bumper in mind is actually a DIY (er, WIY...weld it yourself) kit, so that would/should just need slight modification of the mounting brackets. I have a few other projects lined up, that I'd at least like to tack up and get a pro to finish. But, the year is young...

IMG_4798_JPG.jpg

A guy in one of the FB Nissan groups I follow got stuck in some mud yesterday, not too far from my house and put out a call for some help...and apparently some half dozen other people also got stuck all around the area (lol, idiots). I pulled out one guy in a Toyota pickup, and that was fun. After I yanked him out, I then had to drag him crooked about 300 more feet so that we were both on firm ground. It kinda looked like how a boat would pull a skier, where the skier was to the side, not directly behind...except I also had to drive sideways a bit to keep momentum. Wish I had some pics or a video.

Not too shabby for ATs, but the lockers did wonders. Not sure how some guys got as stuck as they did...the guy I was actually responding was out there with a D40 2wd Frontier. Not sure what he was thinking. I suppose I should go wash it off today.

...............you make me want lockers...

• Like 2

Is that a water tank? More pix n details if possible plz. Looks amazing :)

Warm regards from sunny Qatar,

DJ

Thanks!

It's a rod tube, used to store my fishing poles. They are manufactured commercially but are very expensive, so I made mine myself. The ends and attachment hardware is made by Reese. They are conduit tube end caps. You can get the kit on ebay. the tube is just 6" PVC that I painted black. Sorry, I don't have photos of making it, but here's some close ups and a picture of the kit used.

[/url]">http://FullSizeRender%201_zpscbw8kwt5.jpg

[/url]">http://FullSizeRender%202_zpswootjvsk.jpg

[/url]">http://http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/Geffellz18/media/Conduit%20ends_zpsdhq7sgap.jpg.html'>Conduit%20ends_zpsdhq7sgap.jpg

• Like 4

Awesome, I have been thinking about this for awhile. I usually have to brake the rods apart and fit them in the back. Do you have foam or something inside to keep the rods from banging around and into each other?

I don't think there is a random picture thread yet. Every other forum I'm on has one of these...

No particular reason or theme, just share what you got.

I'll kick it off with some of mine from today:

0ccd85e00cbc41440589e1561d2aee2c.jpg

82828c5e9cc3d2e09cb630384c9a0aea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

ed22e0edaa449cb1fcad44f3a9a04ffc.jpge1a0a28198c3e7da728e89c7b5300961.jpgd365653cc5df525beadd2694944b410d.jpg6b6c19f8b5d8551779c08c9c761b741f.jpg

Before and after pics of the "front end flip the script"

I use Turtle Wax trim coating to make the bumper look like new. This stuff is the s***

Not a bad purchase for $500 QX4 that is.

I got lucky. :)

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

• Like 3

e4c829e254fb69e6ac21d2186ee32daf.jpg

Nice little unexpected water crossing on a google earth trail pursuit.. no dice on the trail, it was gated.. people dumping trash likely caused the land owner to seal off access(NO DUMPING signs and trash everywhere..........). The trail runs up on the Chattahoochee river too.. shame.

c3d79323205683ee27002efb1ec88611.png

Lucky fish..

67868f0b3c8a7ca167621af491c00c64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2