At a Crossroads

madhakish

Good day all.

I've recently returned from yet another excellent road trip to the U.P. for some camping and exploring, however it is with this trip that I've made some realizations that leave me on the fence about my next steps.

As you all know a pathy in the rust belt is not always a problem free daliance. In preparation to leave, I snapped a thrust rod - a part no longer in existence outside of large Nissan parts warehouses or junkyards. I've got rust holes in the rocker panels and forming in the quarter panels. Seems like more often than not parts are being replaced out of necessity and extreme wear if they can even be worked on at all. I've had no less than 3 mechanics try to remove the tranny drain plug with no success, now I need a clutch. The weather stripping on top of the windshield is failing and the rust has progressed to the degree it's leaking in the truck during rainstorms.

Now mind you - this beast has gone and done everywhere, and it's lived a full life no doubt about that. I'm crossing 240k, with few if any engine or drive train issues aside from the clutch and tranny fluid plug problem but I don't has LSD, it's not lifted, and I already can see a lot more suspension work in my future to get her back to "like new" ride wise.

In your oh so wise and humble opinions who thinks I should keep her and work through our issues, weld in paneling where required, fixing suspension and breaking things, and just dealing with rust knowing she's an old lady who may or may not kick at any time?

If I can't find another WD21, what if any "comparable" replacement vehicles outside of a 90-95 WD21 are there our there? (Xterra, Range Rovers, Montero's, Passports, etc.) and whats generally considered in the same league as these old beasts? I just love the idea of a tank of a truck made to go do fun things in places others can't get to, all while not giving a care in the world.

The number of things I love about this truck are too many to list, but the number of problems and creaks and groans seems to increase daily. I guess I'm looking for inspiration one way or the other to keep plowing ahead, or bite the bullet and put her to pasture.

TL;DR - Is the old mare more trouble than she's worth? What else out there is like her?

I think you have basically answered your own question. It seems you do have an affinity for WD21's. I can't blame you. Yours could become a donor for parts (at least the ones that aren't rusted away) for another WD. As you well know, you will probably never find one in your area in much better condition than the one you have now. You could investigate WD's in drier climates, salt free that have held up well over the years (you would be surprised how many of them there are, there are at least a few a month here) and take a bus or plane ride and drive it home. As far as others that compare I cant tell you but your climate does not cater to long lasting vehicles of any vintage so anything you buy in decent shape you should spend some time or coin on undercoating, rust preventative, etc. IMHO

• Like 1

I agree with SBB^

I can't offer much input for replacement vehicles (not that there aren't any) but I haven't been looking for them.

You can buy a relative rust free WD21 pretty darn cheap ($2-3K) out of state and drive it home. If you undercoat/wax/rinse it well, it should last; be proactive...

If the old girl is getting too tired, strip her down of anything of worth for the new one and let her live on that way. Sell what you can/want and save the rest. Keep in mind though, the 1993 to 1994 pathys have a few differences...

It sounds like you know what you want, and it wouldn't be too hard to do with a little plannng...

B

Madhakish,

I'm in St. Paul, so I know exactly what you are talking about.

My '95 rusted out from under me. Still have it just because I'm not done taking parts from it.

I bought a '94 SE from another board member who lives in Florida earlier this year.

No rust and because he was a board member I knew he'd taken care of it. Was no big deal to fly down and drive it back.

I'd consider the same option if I were you.

But of course if you need something right now you might have to look elsewhere.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm not in need or a particular hurry, just looking at options for where to go with this vs. another/newer route. After this last trip I'm realizing what really needs to be done, how badly and costs involved as it's becoming time to either do the work or make another move. I guess I don't know why I haven't looked further out, I certainly have no problem heading south/west to find something clean and I would love to find a manual '94/95 SE w/ LSD but I also know that further limits my options. I've got another project on hold sitting in the garage too so that weighs heavily.. So many projects, so little monies. :|

Part of me wants to just rivet/weld some diamond plate in place and cover it all in truck bed liner.

@FeelthePathos95 - Yup, I had two maxima's well over 300k but no lower body paneling left to speak of.. pita.

I explored the welding options for a while and then realized I could buy a replacement Pathfinder with no rust for basically the same amount I'd have to sink into my rusted out one.

Maybe we could get together sometime to compare the cancer levels on the old trucks. Guy with most rust wins a beer!

Mine has 15 years of Minnesota road salt under its belt. Not pretty.

Just keeping it to strip out some interior stuff that is still in good shape. Also, tranny won't shift into 4th gear.

Engine still wants to keep running forever, which makes me sad to give it up.

@FeelthePathos95 I'll take you up on that!

@bushnut, I hadn't really looked at the R50s, are they really as rugged? How do the frames and suspension compare? I know they went unibody but thats about as far as ive read up. I'll have to go browse their reading materials.. I've looked at a few xterras as well and the supercharged version seems pretty rowdy, beefy ifs built on bilsteins etc (and designated wd22 of course).

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Edited by madhakish

She don't look bad from afar but its what you can't see that's important, pretty much all the bushings are shot, those holes in the rocker panel pickup sticks and logs on the trail, and the duct tape only lasts a couple hundred miles or a few hot sunny days until its no longer keeping the rain at bay.. Most of the dash vents are broken or missing, seats suck and aren't comfy any more (were they ever?) and no cruise control makes long journeys painful in more ways than one..

[2ereryvu.jpgba2e9y2y.jpgvajymany.jpgaty9azu4.jpgavyzu5ag.jpg

thats a lot of cancer.

Is the R50 rugged? I'd say yes in a refined sort of way. on road it's a joy to drive, highway miles just float by. as for off road I've yet to run into trouble but then again I don't go looking for it.

there are plenty of Youtube videos documenting the capability of the R50 off road.

the only issue is aftermarket accessories, in that department the Xterra is a better choice.

I explored the welding options for a while and then realized I could buy a replacement Pathfinder with no rust for basically the same amount I'd have to sink into my rusted out one.

Maybe we could get together sometime to compare the cancer levels on the old trucks. Guy with most rust wins a beer!

Mine has 15 years of Minnesota road salt under its belt. Not pretty.

Just keeping it to strip out some interior stuff that is still in good shape. Also, tranny won't shift into 4th gear.

Engine still wants to keep running forever, which makes me sad to give it up.

I got that like no one else's business.... 1990 SE spent it's entire life in Montreal, Canada... Highest snowfall in a major city in the world except Moscow.... highest cost for snow removal in ALL of the Americas and Europe.... and the most salt per person lain on the road in the world.... who else wants to move here?!!!

Just for warm up: no rocker panels, body split at the front foot wells (both sides) from the outer fender surface to the trans hump, rear half of the frame has been patched three times and is due for another one, no intact fender bits on either side ( except the 3 bolts at the top ) and to top (sic) it off the sunroof main frame is rusted even though the drains are fully open..... do I win yet?

we've all got to die of something.......how 'bout an R50? same ruggedness more comfort and power. you'd be keeping it in the family at least.

Some rather die with dignity :lol:

Just ship that rusty wd21 to me and buy yourself a nicer one, I promise I'll take care of it!

You could wait for a decent truck to come up for sale on the forum. They're usually pretty well documented so you'd know what you were getting.

I'd also narrow the list of alternative trucks by getting rid of anything without a frame, ie no unibodies. The more metal under you the better.

SpecialWarr:

Sounds like your truck really is special!

If ever we cross paths, I owe you a beer.

Hahaha.. "special" .... yes it is! I figure in a couple of more years I should be able to get into it without opening a door if I let it go... but I love that truck. I think it's the best vehicle I've ever spent money on... It does need help, but the drivetrain, bearings and suspension are in great shape and other than a couple of annoying electrical issues I just have body work and a small frame patch to do.... I have no real complaints!

But I'll arm wrestle nunya for your WD21 if you decide to let it go!!

Nunya,

Totally agree about the trustworthiness of the WD21.

I've owned the '95 since it was new and it's been the least trouble of any vehicle I've ever had.

That's why I bought ahardbody's '94 earlier this year to replace it.

I'd love to turn it over to someone who would do something with it besides scrap it, but with the frame rust and a tranny that won't shift into 4th gear (no one who looked at it could figure out why) I doubt there can be any other fate for it.

@SpecialWarr - you win .. You definitely win. ;-)

The reliability is honestly what makes this a tough choice.. Id consider R50, if tjere were really major offroad worthiness issues theyd have shoen themselves by now.. That's what makes this decision so tough. There is definitely something to be said for having a comfortable ride on the way TO the trail though. And more power would be nice for crossing mtns at the very least..

Nunya, what sort of investment do you have into all the fabricayion/welding stuff you do? I'm guessing at least mig setup+ plasma cutter and perhaps a healthy distain for your neighbors?

My "fab" stuff is more necessity or boredom, and access to whatever I want whenever I want at the family owned repair shop I am employed at. (So torches, plasma, 220 mig, lift, compressor/air tools... Etc etc). This thread ain't about me (or my neighbors :lol: ) though, I ramble, complain, and share some of my ways of being malicious other places around here!

But you of all people I would expect to think outside the box repair wise.. ;-)

I've been thinking about just encasing all the cancer in por51 and sheet steel to stem the bleeding a few more years, but yeah - I lack access to all the goodies to play out of boredom, just necessity.. And to practice my welding.

• 9 years later...