Manual impact drivers - any good?

3rdtimesacharm

Has any had much use of these? I can think of a few times when having one would of saved alot of ball ache (if they do work). But, I'm having a hard time finding any decent reviews/ info about them.

Here's a pic for reference..

600_zps7b2f28c7.jpg

Cheers gents.

They are great for smaller fasteners such as the Philips and Slot headed screws, and SHCSs as well, as evidenced by the bits shown. I have used them a lot on older motorcycles, but find they don't have much use in the automotive field as the bolts/torque values are much larger. Still, a handy item to have if you do a lot of work and can pick one up cheap.

(not sure where mine is anymore, but I did buy it almost 30 years ago...)

B

Mine is in pieces. Broke most of the bits and eventually the body by hitting it too hard or with too large of a hammer. Of course, by the time I had exceeded my personal ability to loosen stuff, I had also exceeded the capacity of the impact driver. *shrug*

Work great for removing retainer bolts/ set screws for Impala brake rotors and other GM stuff. Usually I find a use for it when its a phillips head I can't get enough torque on while still putting down pressure on it.

I have one that's probably twice my age, only thing I ever use it for is removing screws on rotors/drums. Downside is all my 'good' old bits have broken and the modern made ones shatter after a couple hits and the couple good ones I have left when useable take the heads of the screws I'm trying to take off out so I just end up drilling anyway...

+1 for the super tight philips head screws. Any small screw allen, torx, flat and philips that you cant get a good bite on this thing is the ticket. I use the one at our shop at least once a week. Ours is snap on and the bits that came with it hold up really well. And when you do break them they swing by and swap em out.

I reckon I'll be finding room for a cheap driver + a few decent (Koken?) bits in the near future. Not used any Koken before, could be a good test for them.

I'm one of them daft people that like to have the right tool for the job.

Thanks again :aok: