Turbo 300ZX Exhaust Studs ?

RamboRedRex

so I have seen that the ZX studs are "better" since they are a stronger metal (or at least thats what I read in that little manual someone wrote out). has anyone used these studs?

my questions are as follows

1. can I just get stock studs for my pathy without them rusting through in 3 weeks?

2. cant I just slap some anti sneeze on the studs to help prevent bulid up in the threads, or do I go the other way and slap some thread locker on them?

any thoughts or sugestions

Anti seize has a temperature rating of 1600F this is far more than you will see at the threads of any spark plug or exhaust stud.
Wanna go overkill? Anti seize copper has a temperature rating of 1800F...

Yes, I know the combustion temperature reaches about 4500F but all those gases are constantly moving thus the Manifold runners themselves get hotter (up to 12-1500 in pathfinders, MEASURED) But the studs and flanges dissipate all their heat into the head.

Edited by MY1PATH
  • Like 1

so I have seen that the ZX studs are "better" since they are a stronger metal (or at least thats what I read in that little manual someone wrote out). has anyone used these studs?

my questions are as follows

1. can I just get stock studs for my pathy without them rusting through in 3 weeks?

2. cant I just slap some anti sneeze on the studs to help prevent bulid up in the threads, or do I go the other way and slap some thread locker on them?

any thoughts or sugestions

I would get the zx studs. After having to remove several broken stock studs, I wouldn't want to use the stock ones. I have had the zx studs for 5 years and no sign of rust. I have removed my headers several times in the last 5 years to repair cracks and the nuts are easy to remove.

I would get the zx studs. After having to remove several broken stock studs, I wouldn't want to use the stock ones. I have had the zx studs for 5 years and no sign of rust. I have removed my headers several times in the last 5 years to repair cracks and the nuts are easy to remove.

what year ZX are used

The 'stock' studs can break if/when the manifolds warp and due to heat cycle stress/fatigue; not engineered/manufactured well...

The 'new stock' studs are the ZX studs if I understand it correctly, I don't believe they even make/sell the original spec Pathy VG30 version any longer.

I have fancy headers that are held on with black oxide bolts, 10.9 grade IIRC. So far so good...

I never understood the stud fascination, nor what grade they are rated to. :shrug:

B

IIRC the stock pathy studs were 5.8 and the 300zx turbo studs were 8.8.(Or maybe it was 8.8 and 10.9)
The 10mm 3.3 studs are the same grade as the 3.0 pathy studs but since they are larger they offer the same or greater strength as the 8mm 300zx studs.

I used studs to hold the gasket in place while I slipped the header on but after that I used all 10mm 10.9 JIS Flange head bolts on my "fancy headers".
They also come in a 8mm Variation: 459-425

Part number guide
Grade 10.9 Flange Head. Dorman 459-YXX

Y= 4 for M8 x 1.25
Y= 5 for M10x1.25
XX= Length, 20-40 in 5mm increments
XX= Length, 50-70 in 10mm increments

DSCF8507.jpg
Yes, I Freaking Love These Bolts!

Edited by MY1PATH

IIRC the stock pathy studs were 5.8 and the 300zx turbo studs were 8.8.(Or maybe it was 8.8 and 10.9)

The 10mm 3.3 studs are the same grade as the 3.0 pathy studs but since they are larger they offer the same or greater strength as the 8mm 300zx studs.

I used studs to hold the gasket in place while I slipped the header on but after that I used all 10mm 10.9 JIS Flange head bolts on my "fancy headers".

They also come in a 8mm Variation: 459-425

Part number guide

Grade 10.9 Flange Head. Dorman 459-YXX

Y= 4 for M8 x 1.25

Y= 5 for M10x1.25

XX= Length, 20-40 in 5mm increments

XX= Length, 50-70 in 10mm increments

DSCF8507.jpg

Yes, I Freaking Love These Bolts!

so these bad boys should work for my stock headers and gasket, thats all im trying to do is fix that leak im not guna get performance headers. oh and thats a cute youngin got in that there picture, congrats

Yes, they work on stock manifolds. The flange head is the size of a regular washer. I still recommend using a washer for expansion characteristics.
Thanks on the kid, I don't update my picture often... he's almost 4 now... but we did just have another.

Edited by MY1PATH
  • Like 1