Blown radiator and alternator belt

saulhudson32

So I was getting the nasty burnt rubber smell today through my vents. Typical of a bad belt. Anyways while I was driving home the a/t temp, battery and ebrake light came on. Indicating alternator problem. So I figured I'd just race it home.

Where it got weird was at second glance I noticed my coolent temperatur was all the way up so immediately pulled over. The moment I turned off the vehicle. Poof. All that lovely vapour came out from under my hood. Anyways so I the top of the radiator blew. Right by the cap. And the alternator belt is chewed to bit.

So I guess my question lies here... Befor I buy a new radiator and belt. Is there a way to see if I blew my engine or not. As well does anyone have the slightest idea how these two problems are related? Did my alternator belt being gone cause my radiator fan to stop spinning which overheated the coolant?

noaltbeltradgoesboom_zps5df35fde.jpg

i say replace alt belt and radi , and make sure you didnt pop something else by overheating her.

lmao. .. no spiny. ..rad goes boom... love it!! :)

To the o.p.; replace the belt, top up/bleed the coolant system and start it up. Check for overheating and further leaks. No leaky and no overheaty. .. truck is fine.

Edited by Nefarious

As far as what damage may occur, the most common chronic ailment from overheating is a blown head gasket. It doesn't have to be overheated to the point of seizure to blow them either. If after the fix everything appears to be working mechanically, but it keeps overheating and/or belching coolant I'd suspect one or both head gaskets gave way (combustion gasses bubble into the coolant and displace the coolant). Just just have to roll the dice and hope your quick instincts to pull over and shut down were quick enough.

Ya I have no idea what made the belt go. But I am keeping an eye on the new one. Put in a new radiator too.

Ironically upon installing everything back in the idler pulley was siezed. So I had to replace that (a whole different belt) maybe it happened during the instal.

Oh well now I think I may be loosening a bit of coolant so I should keep an eye out to see if it's from me putting a hose on wrong or my junkyard radiator.

Thanks for the help guys. I would have never though of that belt controlling the water pump. Mind you I wrote the post at 3 am on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck.