VG33 Deck Height Anyone?

alco3

OK I admit defeat. I can't find it <anywhere>. This is all part of a long V34 build that got as far as assembly and then I found out about Nevada's adoption of California smog rules ... yes I know they are not quite as stringent ... but almost. Here's the gist of it : I'm using a VG33 block bored to 93mm and have it assembled using a new VG30DETT crank/rods and CP pistons for 8.25:1 compression as I planned to use a DETT setup ... Dan Paramore heads ... Wolf ECU/S2cams ... I've done the suspension, cooling, exhaust/headers, transmission/torque converter and even installed the ecu/headers/exhaust/ with the stock VG30 and took the truck into smog as it was due. Passed with flying colors ... thats when I started chatting with the smog tech and found out that any engine swap must be of the same "series" and year or newer and have the new engine's smog system complete.. For me this would mean that my '94 OBD1 4wd D21 would have to be converted to OBD2 and that is a job I just don't want to tackle again ... I checked to see he knew what he was talking about and sad to say he does .. it's even worse than that ... the first smog for an engine swap requires you go to the DMV itself for inspection ... so I went to chat with them and they are sharp to say the least ... there isn't much getting past these guys... and I don't want to either. So thats when I decided to go NA and went on the search for a set of Q45 pistons. Really hard to find. Can't find any in the US period. Everyone I contacted says they are backordered to Japan. Same for rings. Also Q45 pistons require polished bores for the factory chrome rings and mine are already honed for the CP pistons/rings ... (which are for sale with lots of D Paramore work already done) ... so I got to thinking about using 10:1 hypereutectic cast pistons since a high compression engine with forged pistons clatters like a diesel at 10 degrees below zero ... this is supposed to be a daily driver. To see what pistons might work I've got to have the stock deck height or crank center line to deck number and I can't find it anywhere ... It isn't in the FSMs for VG33s but it is there for VH45DE engines and later R50s ... I've got all the other specs I need to do my calcs ... I'll settle for a tdc measurement down to the top of an installed piston if anyone has one sitting around and wants to take the time ... also if anyone knows where there is a set of Q45 pistons, that would be good too. As always thanks in advance.

Hypereutectic

Hello Everyone ... well I don't have to admit defeat after all! I found the specs for the deck height on page EM-135 of the 2004 Frontier FSM. It's stated as "Nominal cylinder block height from crankshaft center: 227.60 - 227.70 mm (8.9606 - 8.9645 in)"

Once again, you guys are right ... the answer is in the FSM. Thanks for being patient.

And interestingly enough, that tolerance window is exactly .1mm. Well, that wasn't exactly the FSM I assumed it would be in, but I'm glad you found it, and thank you for posting it.

I didn't know Nevada is adopting Ca type smog laws! I'm assuming only in the Reno/Sparks/Carson City and Las Vegas areas? Are they retroactive to all existing vehicles? Is there an exempt age limit? This could be a major headache for a lot of people, but I can't say I'm totally against it...

So you have done all that work only to find out that you basically can't use that motor? :doh:

Being in NorCal, I believe that my only engine upgrade option would be to take a VG33, install VG30 cams and dress it all up in VG30 parts, and just hope that no one notices (I actually think it would work).

B

Dressing a vg33 as a vg30 works just fine. The only verifiable difference that doesn't involve a micrometer is the VG33 stamp on the deck of your block just behind the passenger side head. Hard to see but findable if you know to look for it. You could probably get away with a vg34 as long as the sniffer passed. Let us know about what pistons you end up with.

Edited by ejin4499