Help with gas odor

Ok, so for quite a while now I've been getting a gasoline odor coming from around the drivers rear wheel well. I have also been intermittently throwing p1441 codes. I started by having the fuel filler tube recall done at the stealership, hoping it was in fact rotted and emitting vapor. The issue continued as did the intermittent code, so I replaced the vacuum cut valve, bypass solenoid, vapor canister and purge valve, still getting the odor. It occurs while the truck is running at temperature and right after shut down. I'm lost, am I missing something? Trying to avoid having to drop the tank to see if anything is loose or disconnected. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Wow. I have the same odor and have only attempted half (if not less than) of what you've tried for fixing my problem. It might be a long shot but, have you removed the fuel pump access panel located under the rear seat to check the fuel lines? I hope you figure it out and post your findings here. I need to tackle this issue.

Have a friend with access to an EVAP smoke machine? Those pesky EVAP leaks can be hard to trace by the naked eye and can sometimes not smell pretty.

That or buy stock in tree air freshners :lol: (kidding of course. Fix it right!)

Hmmm, wasn't aware of an access panel, that would sure save me from having to drop the tank! I'll check that out sometime this week, thanks! There is another sensor type thing (I'm still looking into what it is exactly) that is attached to the bracket that the vapor canister mounts to, and I'm pretty sure that is the only thing sensor/valve/switch wise that I haven't replaced in the evap system. I'll definitely keep you posted...

Edited by 01Pathmaker

Have a friend with access to an EVAP smoke machine? Those pesky EVAP leaks can be hard to trace by the naked eye and can sometimes not smell pretty.

That or buy stock in tree air freshners :lol: (kidding of course. Fix it right!)

I'll might try to call in a few favors if I can't figure it out soon, not sure if anybody I know has one, and it would probably be cheaper to just replace all the lines in the system over taking it back to the stealership for diagnostics. If all else fails, then "trees" it is! Lol

They just did the filler neck? What happend was someone overfilled the gas tank and the gas leaked into the charcoal canister soaking it with gasoline, you were probably getting the p1441 code because little tiny pieces of that charcoal are getting into the evap purge control valve and preventing it from closing after a purge. So you get a code and the fumes from the stuck open valve. This is just my guess. You can follow your evap line under the hood and disconnect it somewhere near the evap port (says on the cap) and see if any charcoal comes out. If I'm right then a way to fix it is to buy a brand new charcoal canister that i think run around $200 bucks.

Edit: And stop overfilling the gas tank, stop after the click.

Edited by Leo98

x2 I was doing that same mistake by trying to "get that little bit extra" until I learned about the charcoal canister being affected by that.

Stop after the first click. Pieces of charcoal might be clogging your EVAP system.

Thanks leo and bucket, I just replaced the canister and purge valve this past weekend and since I had 3/4 tank, I haven't added any gas since, but still getting the odor. I located the access under the rear seat, gonna pull that this weekend and look for any disconnected/damaged lines, I'll also check the evap port.

Ok, so I pulled and checked evap lines all the way up to the motor and all are perfectly clean inside (guess I didn't need to do the canister after all). Pulled the access panel under rear seat, got blasted with gas odor when I popped that off, but can't see anything obvious. The only thing left tht I can think of before pulling the tank down, is the "vapor pressure sensor". I might have to do the unthinkable an call the local stealership, confirm if they have a smoke machine, nobody else in the area does. If anyone else has any other ideas, please chime in!

Yep, gas cap was my very first attempt. The area around the top flange on the tank has a very slight "seepage" look but not nearly enough to cause the very strong odor. As strong as it is I'd think it'd be easier to find!

So further investigation is leading to the possibility of the tank gasket. Gonna order it up and post the results.

On my Hardbody that gasket seemed fine till the truck frame snapped and dropped-just that jolt shot enough gas out the top of the tank to soak the whole tank and stink up the place for a week. When I pulled the pump out there was just a little hair line crack in the gasket. The gas normaly never got up that high but the fumes would.

• 1 month later...

Finally, after months of chasing this issue, I replaced the tank gasket (actually an o-ring) and that was the issue! It's been 3 weeks now since I did it, no more gas odor, no more SES light and now when I loosen the gas cap the get gas I hear the "pssssss" again. It wasn't terribly hard to replace, just a bit frustrating, as the push-lock connectors used to connect the inner tubes to the base of the "cover" can be a bit troublesome to take off. For anyone having this issue and wanting to give this a shot, the Nissan p/n is 17342-01A00 - SEALO RING,FUEL GAUGE, my cost was $11.77, but list was a little higher, still well worth it though.

• Like 2