Spring Dimensions

Precise1

Would anyone who removes their springs, be them front or rear, stock or aftermarket, please take measurements of the ID, OD, OAL and note if it is flat ended or not and what year it came off of. Coil thickness and number of coils would be nice as well, but not necessary. If it is aftermarket, please state from whom and how much lift it gave/ride change.

What I am trying to do is match up existing springs with what is available from Sway Away to see if we have another option available, perhaps even something outside what is already available. Check out the link if you are curious... http://www.swayaway.com/CoilSprings.php

I'll leave this pinned for a bit until we collect some information.

Thanks in advance... :aok:

B

So you want the inside diameter and outside diameter and overall length? I won't be doing anything on the suspension until august (possibly if things don't go haywire) but will keep this in mind for you. Not replacing the coil though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are some dimensions I measured tonight when starting to install an AC 2" lift in the rear.

Originals on a 2002 LE:
15" length / 5" ID / 0.512" coil thickness / not flat ended (therefore the OD is about 6)

AC springs:

15.25" length / 5" ID / 0.630" coil thickess / not flat ended

If I can figure out how to post a pic, I took one, but the original has 5.5 wraps and the AC has almost 7 wraps

Hope that helps. I can update this with the lift amount and front spring info when I get there.

Edited by Fatso1234
  • Like 2

Here are some dimensions I measured tonight when starting to install an AC 2" lift in the rear.

Originals on a 2002 LE:

15" length / 5" ID / 0.512" coil thickness / not flat ended (therefore the OD is about 6)

AC springs:

If I can figure out how to post a pic, I took one, but the original has 5.5 wraps and the AC has almost 7 wraps

Hope that helps. I can update this with the lift amount and front spring info when I get there.

Thank you very much for that information, that was exactly what I needed, and unfortunately it tells me that Sway-Away has nothing even close to that size on their stock list. This idea is a no go... :thumbsdown:

B

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure these wont help much I was in a hurry when I put on my lift. Here are the jeep coils often used to accommodate the 4" sfd. Mine lifted my pathfinder 4" but some lift it 6". keep in mind the top pig tail was cut off and I did not lay it next to the stock coil. Wish I would have slowed down and taken better measurements.

0820141456_zps0iethied.jpg

0820141456a_zpsrfvmaexi.jpg

0820141456b_zpsxeegegtt.jpg

0820141456c_zps0uuz1a1s.jpg

0820141457a_zpscxizvgpi.jpg

0820141457b_zpsgr1nyv4a.jpg

• 6 months later...

Here's a pic of the rear springs. I guess the AC coil has nearly 8 wraps, if I'm counting right.

R50_rear_springs.jpg

When talking spring specs, it's the number of 'ACTIVE COILS' that is the important measure. In this photo, the AC springs have 6 active coils (count how many 'spaces' there are in the spring), and the stocker has 4 active coils.

Originals on a 2002 LE:

Outer diameter would be 5" + .512" = 5.512". If your measurement of coil thickness was taken with a tape measure it might not be accurate.

AC springs:

Wouldn't the OD=ID(CTx2) since there is a coil on either side? 6.024"...

Usually I would agree, but considering the IDs are .25" different, the ODs are .5" different and they still fit without issue, I'd say a tape measure and a good eye is sufficient for the tolerances. ;)

B

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly off topic, but didn't want to start a new one.

I will have to buy the front springs for my setup as well. As some people know I have the MD OME coils in the rear and stock in front. There doesn't seem to be a MD coil for the front, only non designated and HD. Does anyone know what rate or designation (LD,MD, HD) the "undesignated" coil actually is?

• 2 weeks later...

There doesn't seem to be a MD coil for the front, only non designated and HD. Does anyone know what rate or designation (LD,MD, HD) the "undesignated" coil actually is?

They're all the same spring rate (200 lbs/in). Only difference is the free height.

Source: OME catalog, 06/2014

OMESprings0.jpg

OMESprings.jpg

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

After some trial and error it has been discovered that Land Rover coil springs are compatible with the R50s in the rear. There are several options, but these two part numbers below have successfully been installed in place of rear coil springs to provide lift and heavier load capacity. Both springs are options used on the defender 90.

Part number NRC9447 175lb rate, 2.5 inches of lift with no cutting.

Part number NRC9448, 225lb rate, 4 inches of lift uncut, 3 inches with one coil cut.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

image.thumb.png.4d465ba467e1304872ac14a5a6b308af.png

On 4/20/2015 at 9:42 PM, hawairish said:

They're all the same spring rate (200 lbs/in). Only difference is the free height.

Source: OME catalog, 06/2014

OMESprings0.jpg

OMESprings.jpg

@hawairish Hey Sorry to revive a nearly dead post, but I'm kind of confused about the free height differences on the different size springs. According to the chart I added I found on OME site all these springs should give a 0.5" lift to stock r50's. How does the free height change with a constant spring rate produce equal lifts? Am I missing something?

I only ask because I have the 2928 and I find them a bit on the stiffer side (stock bumper/no front accessories) and I'm considering going to 2923 to get a bit of a smoother ride. But if all it will change is lift then obviously I won't bother. Also doesn't seem to be many ppl that opt for the medium duties...

Edited by flyingpathy
missed attachment

IIRC ome's lift numbers are with the added weight from accessories. The added free height results in more preload which gives the extra lift and a harsher ride (without the weight from a winch bumper).

If you installed your HDs recently mine took several months to break in, I rarely get harsh top out now and they ride much nicer then when I first installed them 6 months ago. No bumper but I do have beefy skid plates and a missing link which add some weight.

1 hour ago, DesertKyle said:

If you installed your HDs recently mine took several months to break in, I rarely get harsh top out now and they ride much nicer then when I first installed them 6 months ago. No bumper but I do have beefy skid plates and a missing link which add some weight.

Oh right on. Yah I installed mine back in late may/early june so they've only been on for ~4 months? So far I've had some pretty hard top outs and I think it might have broken the seals on one of my struts so I'm going back in there to replace those. I was kind of leaning toward keeping the HDs before your post but you've restored some of my confidence in them.