Muffler?

iPath

I haven't posted here in awhile, but it looks like the threads in this subforum were a little gutted. Let me know if this has already been covered.

The pipping from the muffler to the resonator rusted through so I removed the resonator, making the exhaust exit upwards under back 3/4 of the vehicle. The heat actually comes through into the cabin during long drives, which you can feel if you put your hand on the floor right behind the rear seats. I want to fix this problem, and possibly add a little exhaust note while I'm at it. Is there a flowmaster or magnaflow option that can be bolted on in place of the muffler that will add a mild growl and fix my problem? Let me know what you guys have done, thanks!

I'm sure you can rig up a Magnaflow muffler. But as far as your heat problem goes, you can simply use heat wrap unless you go off-roading a lot and get it soaked and caked in mud. Might not be so good then. Fabricate a heat shield? Or get another resonator.

Sent from Tapatalk

• Like 1

The cheapest way to fix this, is to take the original resonator if you still have it, and cut the flanges off both pipes, and clamp/weld a sleeve in place.

The other option would be to get some pipe and just route it out the back like before, or you can replace the main muffler with a 2 in 1 out of your choice.

• Like 1

I deleted my resonator years ago. I too had the pipe cut off just after the muffler hanger and experienced a little heat. I went to the local U-Pull-It with the intention of snagging a "new to me" system and ended up randomly scoring a cat back exhaust system off of an older R50. I wish I could tell you the brand of muffler but, I never saw a stamped brand name on it. It does have a nice low end note to the sound without the "drone" at highway speeds.

• Like 1

i got a custom cat back 2.25 inch with a "knock-off" magnaflow but wow did it drone at highway speeds. I couldnt take it after 2 days so i went back to the shop and had them put on a quieter oem replica and now im happy. it has a nice tone when you rev it but doesnt drone

btw. i got mine done behind Citi field in NY if any of you are familiar with all those shops back there. i got the whole thing done with the switch of mufflers for under $200. and i still got a barely used "magnaflow" muffler with like 50 miles on it, if anyone is interested

I too have experienced the rusty exhaust issues, and too had the exhaust running into the rear of the car, I just cut the pipe that runs to the rear resonator straight, immediately after the muffler, adds a nice low Rumble with no whine, no power or mpg feel though, I'm still waiting for someone to show me a exhaust that doesn't drone on freeways, and improves mileage.

Still waiting for that though.

-Kyle

The way these mufflers run with all those twists and turns, I can't see how there could be a product that would improve flow. Even the slightest bends rob power. That's why on sports cars you'll always want to try to get the pipes as straight as possible.

Sent from Tapatalk

Diameter plays a role, but bends are detrimental. Even the type of weld, if it isn't smooth, it's negatively affected that's why performance exhausts always advertise mandrel bent. And then there is the cats, the biggest power robbers. Either way, for sound, all this doesn't really matter. Your muffler and downpipes determine your sound.

Sent from Tapatalk

I feel like the main consensus is to NOT go after market with the muffler then? lol

I disagree, I went with a Magnaflow, a bit of a drone, Great Sound. Had to increase my HP from 171 to 171.5 minimum! Had a shop run a new pipe after the muffler with no resonator. It did feel like it added some power but who knows... MPG I would say is the same, dismal... If you want the model no. I can look for the receipt.

Mine rotted clean through at that same spot twice already. The first time was 3 years ago and I paid a garage 100 bucks to weld it back together. The second time was a month ago and I bought direct fit replacement parts from rockauto for everything behind the cats and bolted it all on in my driveway. I'm hoping these new parts will last longer than the last fix did, but for now the shiny new pipes make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

has anyone tried the high heat paint on the exhaust system to stop it from rusting?

I tried a rustolium exhaust/ header paint on my muffler and it didnt stay but i might not of cleaned the oil stuff off the muffler good enough Edited by thorpe991

I tried it before and it ended up rusting my mufflers even worse. I think they are best left alone. It's just a fact of life that mufflers will not last unless they never get wet, i.e. on a garage kept Sunday car / show car. This has been my experience anyways. It helps getting stainless steel material over the regular muffler shop stuff though. But the welds are still vulnerable. This is what happened to my previous setup on my S4 last winter. (Magnaflow)