CDN_S4 build thread

CDN_S4

How much fab work was required on the actual bumper?

None. The bumper itself stays intact. It's all in the mounts. The supplied mounts will need to be cut and you'll be welding your custom brackets to them.

Thanks, Toyojay. But what's LS1?

I don't mean to sound like an internet D-bag here, but how in the world have you not heard of the GM LS series engines???

https://youtu.be/KxUIMpbEE7o?t=17m26s

Last one is my favourite

-Kyle

(EDITED TO PLEASE CANADIAN, i put a U in it)

Edited by ferrariowner123
  • Like 1

Ha, yep :D

For your entertainment: VQ35DE vs VQ40DE

(If you want me to post those full-size pictures up, let me know.)

I don't think the bellhousings will mate, but the angle of the blocks are different, and all the extra holes may be misleading.

For sure, the exhaust gaskets are the same; looks like it's just a matter of moving studs around.

The valve cover gaskets are also the same.

The motor mount bracket attachment points look lower on the 40, but nothing a SFD doesn't help resolve!

Wonder if the internals could be used as a stroker kit...

This is what I was curious about. The 4.0 isn't much bigger than the 3.5 but has fair power gains. Are you thinking of possibly just using the internals in the 3.5 block?

Sent from my nearly dead S6

I don't mean to sound like an internet D-bag here, but how in the world have you not heard of the GM LS series engines???

Last one is my favourite

-Kyle

(EDITED TO PLEASE CANADIAN, i put a U in it)

Well Kyle I have never owned a GM or any American vehicle besides a short stint in a Ford Exploder. I have always been a German car guy. We don't tend to swap out our engines nearly as much as American cars because we don't need to :)

Well Kyle I have never owned a GM or any American vehicle besides a short stint in a Ford Exploder. I have always been a German car guy. We don't tend to swap out our engines nearly as much as American cars because we don't need to :)

Haha, I see. Sorry if my post came across a bit too condescending. Was more poking fun than anything. It's just such a popular platform that I just figured everyone had heard of it. Lol

This most likely means you don't spend as much time on YouTube as I tend to do. Which is a good thing!

-Kyle

CDN_S4,

I know that you talked about the rattle in the right rear somewhere in this thread. But what exactly was loose on he rear suspension? I have that same rattle when I go over bumps when off road, rattles drive me crazy. I also have a thud in the rear sometimes which I think if a rear diff issue, Just haven't got into that yet. When you changed all the gear oil in the rear, did it improve the "smoothness". Just trying to steal all your knowledge before I go down the wrong road, and do it the hard way.

My rattle in the rear was the shocks not being right enough on the upper mount.

As for the fluid flush I didn't notice a difference. But then again the fluid that came out wasn't all that bad.

Tight fit :)

f1847e0148729ed18679238e2a7ef064.jpg

In other news, Pathy has just become an older brother. This is now real.

d01e2667f4c63f6b6727837d63abde40.jpg

I feel like a kid in a giant candy store when I browse jeep parts. Coming from the R50, it's mind numbing!!

For real this time! I know I joked about this before but this time, it's real. My friend wanted to make the trade, I've been wanting a jeep so here we are. But you're right, I kinda feel like the dark side finally got me.

Heeps are nice rigs, a little too small inside for me, but they are very capable stock. Just be mindful of cheap parts. Check out Mainline Overland's White Rubicon! Theres and awesome build thread of it on ExpoPortal. I personally love the steel mopar wheels they went with along with the AEV tirecarrier and spare fuel tank! Good luck with the new build!

• Like 1

If you sell it, you will regret it. All the headaches will turn into missed memories, of how you built a rig with average capability up to hang with the big boys... and in some cases, embarrass them when they cant keep up. I miss my X like crazy and i originally sold it to eventually get a Rubicon. The Pathy represents a certain level of achievement. Keep her as your overlander and put 37s on the jk!

Edited by sleeper00
  • Like 1

Yeah I've got too much heart into it. I was thinking of doing exactly what you said actually, keeping Cathy (yes that's what I call her, Canadian Pathy = Cathy) as an overland / camping rig and the jeep as my DD/ trail rig. Going 35's on 15's :). I don't like the look of big rims on Jeeps.

• Like 2

Thumbs up for a simple build. When I had my JK, I just bought Rubicon take-offs...sliders, BFG MT, springs, shocks (Bilsteins). The springs from a Rubicon JKU were good for 2" lift on a JK. Dirt cheap upgrades! I think other Jeep parts are still rather expensive, but tons of options.

Yeah mine already has the Rubi suspension swap with a 2" body lift and the 3.73 gears, (which seems low compared to the R50 lol) so the foundation is laid for the 35's. I might just do some upgrades to the front Dana 30 like balljoints and trusses, but at least for now, I won't be swapping axles and stuff like that.

To shift the focus back to Cathy, here's a shot of her bodacious rear end :)

IMG_9608.jpg

• Like 2