Bed Liner Question....

mikestewart395

While my Pathy is yet again waiting on parts, I am going to do some Mods, like finally getting to the removeable doors. I coated my air cleaner in spray on bed liner. Rattle can. It came out great but if I press on it a little it leaves a dent in it, so it is slightly soft. What I am planning on doing is when I do the removeable doors I want to rip out the carpet and bed line the floor of the cab. Several reasons, one being running doorless will bring in tons of mud and elements. On carpet? No thanks. But I don't want to use the rattle can if it is soft like that, my feet beating on it running the trails it will look like scraped up crap. I seen a video of someone using the roll on kit from rustoleum. It comes with an added hardener. If anyone has used this kit does it come out like plastic, as in harder than the rattlecan stuff? I watched a video of a Jeeper doing his cab but I don't know if it was actually solid like a real bed liner. Sorry if I can't explain better. I know a real pro spray on is the way to go but I'm not going to dpend more on the liner than I did the truck. Just looking for a good DIY way to go.

I never had a problem with the spray on stuff. I did my side skirts and hood with Dura-coat rattle cans and both came out good and solid.

First time I didn't sand/score the surface first so it peeled off in most places. I pressure washed it and sanded it down and redid it. Much better now and still solid.

I was toying with the idea of lining the floors inside, but that'll be a winter project.

I've brushed on "Herculiner" brand stuff, shorts and skidding off the seat of our old 4runner would equal rubbing the back of your legs against the rocker and a reminder to not be lazy next time but it was definatly not "soft". Side note, I've also used aerosol with less texture but still hardened fine

I think the aerosol was dupli-color brand fwiw too... The can was blue (just painted the boat numbers with what was left in the can. Didn't read the can, just remember it being blue)

I used only rustolem roll-on rubber chunk and plastic spray on , I would use roll-on on anything that is goes see wear and tear. It's nice and thick, but I let it sit a few day in the sun , baked on nicely.

The spray on flaked a little on me , and it was soft a good two days.

I would recommend Monstaliner for a DIY/roll-on bedliner. It's an aliphatic polyurethane, which means it's some extremely tough and UV resistant stuff.

http://www.monstaliner.com/

Here's an 800+ page thread on the jeep forums that makes a good read:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/introducing-monstaliner-uv-permanent-diy-roll-bed-liner-875162/