throttle position sensor question

xylicon

My pathfinder idles at around 900-920RPM, I've been following the troubleshooting steps in the repair manual that I sourced from the 'garage' on this forum. I am pretty sure the issue is with my throttle position sensor. I had to remove this sensor in order to clean my throttle body as I didn't want to damage it, I did mark its position before I removed it.

Following the procedure here: Step 5

M9ErMzE.png

I cannot meaure any voltage at all with my multimeter regardless if where I adjust the sensor.

I am assuming this test is to be done with the ignition on but the vehicle not running.

Did I perform this test correctly and shall I procede to source a new TPS?

Thanks

-Mike

Edited by xylicon

Are you checking the correct plug? If you have an auto trans, there is 2 plugs for the TPS. Also, you must be back probing the plug, it has to be plugged in. Just wondering if you checked the simple things first like a vac leak at or near the throttle body or the idle speed adjustment screw. The idle air control valve is what is supposed to control the idle and it is mounted to the left rear corner of the intake plenum and will often get sticky preventing proper idle control.

Are you checking the correct plug? If you have an auto trans, there is 2 plugs for the TPS. Also, you must be back probing the plug, it has to be plugged in. Just wondering if you checked the simple things first like a vac leak at or near the throttle body or the idle speed adjustment screw. The idle air control valve is what is supposed to control the idle and it is mounted to the left rear corner of the intake plenum and will often get sticky preventing proper idle control.

I have checked for vacuum leaks and didn't find any, also my vacuum gauge reads steady right where it should be, so I ruled out any air leaks.

I am aware of that idle adjust screw on the back of the plenum but it has very little affect on the idle.

I will re-check my TPS while it is connected because it seems I have done it incorecctly.

Thanks

-Mike