It's never easy

So brakes locked up on me, so I figured I was this far I might as well do the bushings that needed to be replaced... Well the genius who did my last alignment galded the UCA mounting bolts... Here is some pics

qazubenu.jpg

2eve5ane.jpg

e9asesat.jpg

puhuzyny.jpg

Nothing a tap and new bolts won't remedy... But other than that everything else is going smooth new centerlink... Better designed, new idler arm; strut rod bushings fun fun fun

Damn, I'm surprised that they held in that condition!

May I recommend something though? When chasing threads (cleaning up existing helix), use a roll (cold form) tap that doesn't cut but forms the threads with progressive lobes. The benefit is that it picks up/follows the existing threads and swages them back into proper form with no material lost and work hardens them at the same time. This is the strongest thread form there is other than inserts.

Chasing threads with a cut tap means you are just clearing the impeding material, much of which comes from the crest of the thread. This means you might be past the recommended minimum diameter (% of thread formation, 75% is an industry minimum) and while the bolt threads in cleanly, the thread engagement/integrity of the hole is not necessarily equal to the engineered minimum.

Not trying to be a downer, but I've cut/formed more threads than most people have ever wrenched and really know the science of it.

B

Drilled and tapped to 5/8 course thread... Severe pain in the a$$... Also measured my rims the are 15x10 rims not 15x12 like I thought... Oh well 5 days on a cruise boat then back to finishing the pathfinder yay.

• 2 weeks later...

Well she is out of ICU and in recovery, still a few minor things like alignment needed and reinstall my damper and put the new sway bar bushings on... Also still need to drill tap and install my skid plate as apparently all the factory bolt broke off on the original with the PO...

ehyryzar.jpg

Dude, you are the MAN! I'm glad you're my friend cuz I don't know how to a tenth of that crap you just soldiered through.

I did however, catch what Precise was saying about cutting / reforming thread, that's cool because in my line of work where I've got hydraulic lines with male pipe threading into 85 lb pneumatic plugs, sometimes those threads get gummed up and I have to re cut new threads and hope it doesn't make the inflation port too large and loose for 1/4" pipe. So, whatever that is, that rolled tech, I need those kind of tap...

Edited by gv280z
  • Like 2

Oh that is real nice, I like that. Cross thred that thing!

People should be nicer when working on somone elses property.

Cross threads are better than no threads :lol:

Dude, you are the MAN! I'm glad you're my friend cuz I don't know how to a tenth of that crap you just soldiered through.

Yeah it's a bittersweet thing though it means I drive a lot of stuff that needs repairs lol but anytime you need help just let me know