What would you do

txpath4x4

Do in the wake of my accident it got me to thinking what if my truck had been totaled? There are no viable pathys in the area what would I move on to? I finally came up with an answer I would go with the xterra, blazer/bronco, or another 7.3 diesel....So now I ask you the same question my NPORA brothers what would y'all move onto. No judgement if it's not Nissan just curious, only rule can't be a pathfinder

Xterra would be the logical move if you wanted to stay with Nissan, but... If you really like Pathy's they can be had a plenty out of state. New Mexico, Aridzone have plenty, I know that. It wouldn't be too hard to find one within a long day's drive and spend a weekend getting it.

By Pathy, do you mean only WD21s? Don't discount the R50's they have proven their worth over and over and have some advantages as well, expecially if you go with a 2001-2004 with well over 200hp. If I ever build an R50, it would be a low mileage 2003-2004, and while I've never driven an Xterra, I suspect I'd perfer an R50...

B

Driving a first gen (2000-2004) feels like driving a faster wd21, with less comfortable seats. Rides exactly the same.

I would probably go that route if I had to. No domestic stuff for me unless it was an old land yacht from the 70's.

Xterra would be the logical move if you wanted to stay with Nissan, but... If you really like Pathy's they can be had a plenty out of state. New Mexico, Aridzone have plenty, I know that. It wouldn't be too hard to find one within a long day's drive and spend a weekend getting it.

By Pathy, do you mean only WD21s? Don't discount the R50's they have proven their worth over and over and have some advantages as well, expecially if you go with a 2001-2004 with well over 200hp. If I ever build an R50, it would be a low mileage 2003-2004, and while I've never driven an Xterra, I suspect I'd perfer an R50...

B

There are some r51's around and some really tore up r50's.... I meant all pathfinders though.

If I could find another it would be amazing because mine was a diamond compared to some of the ones I have seen in a 200 mile radius of me. And Arizona is like an almost week long trip from where I live ( round trip) like I said it had me thinking... And I'm just a curious person

My budget's small and it's not well insured. I'd probably find a dead engine/trans Pathy off Craigslist and fix it with parts from what was left of mine.

Or find a random small wagon shell and put the Pathfinder's running gear in it... that could be a fun rig.

Sorry guys, I've gotta go with the big cold frozen T on this one. I want a 1st gen Tundra 4x4 Xtra cab, or T-100 4x4 Xtra cab in the worst way, those are impossible to find though.

I'll echo bushnut, there's an 01 and 04 XTerra just down the highway for sale. I've also seen some Hardbody's and Frontiers on the local buy&sell's.

If I were to go non-Nissan, a Toyota 4Runner or SR5, or maybe an older domestic 4x4.

Speaking of the Domestic front, guys I swear to you I have gotten 345,000 miles (in 5 years, 27,000 in 2008) out of the 4.3L v6 in my Silverado, which I'm pretty sure is the same v6 engine in the Blazer and S-10 trucks. The miles on that truck have been hard Houston driving jobsite offroading carrying equipment with a 300 lb Tommy Lift gate on the back, I have not been nice to that engine.

Only Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W 30 every 5000 miles but I've run long into the 15,000 miles plenty of times. We are just wondering when it's going to fall apart. Just sayin.

Edited by gv280z

The 4.3 is a marvelous engine. It is basically a small block chevy with the back cylinders cut off. That is why it is the only v6 that has made it through the decades the only other 6 cylinder that is comparable is the inline 6 300 that ford had...in trucks at least. but they are beast motors for sure!!

I dunno. I have 2 friends and an old neighbor that have 4.3 powered whatevers and they all say they are junk. One bought his new. Then again they are all 90s blazers...

• Like 1

First choice would be a 2007-2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with the 3.0 Mercedes diesel.

Second would be an XTerra 4x4 with the 4.0L and a 6-speed manual

Third would be a R50 4x4 with the VQ engine and a stick shift

After that. . . open season. Taurus SHO, S10 Blazer ZR-2 4x4 with stick, Excursion 4x4 with the 7.3L. . . . .

I've yanked many seized 4.3s (hell MY blazer is on its 3rd engine [previous owners]) I've also kept many of them running strong. Everyone is going to have their own story on an engine as common as them. Now an engine I have never seen blown up? Ford 4.9 I6... It will bog rolling downhill, foot to the wood, dump the clutch in first but it will keep on (slowly) humming :lol:

• Like 1

The 4.3 in my friend's Astro ate a head gasket at 180k, but I'll bet that had less to do with the design of the motor and more do do with the disgusting brown gritty coolant we drained out a couple months previously. (The PO of that thing was not kind to it.) The bores looked like they were holding up pretty well, and it runs great now that it's back together.

So yeah, it's run great since the last time we had to fix it :rolleyes:. It was good enough for Roadkill's Rotsun!

Back on topic, if I had to get a different rig, I'm not sure what it would be, but it would be old. New cars beep too much.

Back on topic, if I had to get a different rig, I'm not sure what it would be, but it would be old. New cars beep too much.

You'd be suprised the number of cars I see with the seatbelts wrapped behind the seat and buckled in :lol:

As far as the 4.3 v6. The bottom end hasn't changed much, but, the addition of a balance shaft and a rather pitiful fuel injection system in the mid to late 90's as well as into this decade has plagued the 4.3. The older throttle body 4.3's that came in the early s-10/s-15 gm minitrucks and into late 90's full size are workhorses to be sure. There is a video on YouTube from road kill tv of an old 260z that's had an s-10 engine and 5 speed tranny swapped into it and it made over 400 hp after they installed a turbo from a 7.3 diesel truck.

That said, the earlier the 4.3 the better.

And if I were to change brands all together, it'd be a 70's or early 80's Chevy 4x4 short bed to be sure. But, that said, with today's fuel prices, it won't be a big block or even a small 5.7. Well maybe a 5.7 (350) that'd depend on where I am financially in this world. Maybe and early jeep grand Cherokee. Possibilities are endless.

The Pathfinder gets better mileage now overall than it did stock TBI, save for the few oddball 23+ MPG all highway tanks when it was stock. Best I've done with the MPFI is 21 on the highway. It averages 15.7 and the Jeep is at 16.6 with all highway tanks, city, and mixed added in; same with the Pathfinder. It's actually beating the EPA numbers I believe. Before with stock TBI it was 15.4 average (Pathfinder).

Edited by Kingman

Makes sense, the TBI isn't very efficient. Now, put stock sized tires (depends on the gearing, but we'll go with 31") and see what you get.

The motor/injection isn't all I'm talking about... ;)

B

They are 31s now with lighter Enkei aluminum wheels VS. Steel Wagon wheels with wide 32s. Jeep has gay little 29.5s :lol:

Edited by Kingman