Timing belt kit for 3.3

TutorN1

Well it's getting on past time to change mine, and seeing as how is not one of those things you can just wait till I brakes, I've got a few questions.

First who has the best over all kits? Everything that I've replaced so far has been factory parts, says a lot for Nissan, that the waterpump, & belts need changing too.

What kind of time frame am I looking at on changing everything, down time?

Anything else that I need to change while it's tore down ie: seals, gaskets?

This is still going to be a project that's going to be done later, but I can start getting this lined out.

Thanks in advance!

If you have the money, go for the nissan parts. Like you said they obviously are the best thing for the truck. I personally have used nissan and gates parts without any problems. The gates timing belt kit would save you a bit of coin.

Other than the timing belt and pump I would change the cam/crank seals, thermostat, and the bypass hose.

I would set a weekend aside to do it, just in case any problems arise.

Also buy some new coolant. Don't re use the old @!*%.

• Like 1

:iws::lol:

What you get as factory Nissan parts, make sure you get them from Rob (Alkorahil) at www.factorynissanparts.com, he'll have about the best prices around.

I got everything from him for about $250. Not bad for maintenance every 100k miles. ;)

(I changed the water pump as well because you have to take the belts of to get to it)

B

Yeah x2 on everything, I use gates belts and hoses... And I have a commercial account at my local Oreilly auto parts so I get a discount. So I get their new water pump and such.

Hey B did you do the wife's ? How much different is it than the 3.0

No, the PO insisted it had been done before we bought it at 150k, and it is about to hit 180k. I'll be doing it at 200k...

They are so similar that the write up in the Garage/How To section is actually on a VG33, not a VG30; it doesn't make much of a difference. Honestly, if you can't work around/figure out the small differences, you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Yes, I have changed T-belts on my WD21 and an inlaws R50...

B

• Like 1

I have done it on an r50 wd21 and an xterra. The r50 was the hardest because of the ac line in the way and the retarded power steering belt tensioner position.

I'm already familiar with the AC hose, change out my thermostat first of the year after my radiator blew.

For y'all that have change the TB already would it be easier to pull grill and radiator out to? I know it can be done with it on, but just to make it easier?

I didn't change my coolant lines when that happened before, planning on doing this time around. I've also got an oil leak somewhere, I've got to find it. May try to fix it while I'm in it too.

Thanks for the input

I left the grill in, but pulled the radiator. It gives you a lot more room to work, and you don't have to worry about damaging it. If you are changing the waterpump as well (highly recommended) you will be draining the coolant regardless...

Oil leak may be valve cover gaskets (try tightening first), cam seals or crank seals (just plan to change them). Might want to snug the oil pan botls as well...

B

• Like 1

I'm already familiar with the AC hose, change out my thermostat first of the year after my radiator blew.

For y'all that have change the TB already would it be easier to pull grill and radiator out to? I know it can be done with it on, but just to make it easier?

I didn't change my coolant lines when that happened before, planning on doing this time around. I've also got an oil leak somewhere, I've got to find it. May try to fix it while I'm in it too.

Thanks for the input

Pulling the grill doesn't really help since the condenser will still be in the way, once you pull the fan off (pro tip, pull the fan and shroud out together) and the shroud out, pull the radiator and you'll have tons of room to do what you need to.

My only advice from doing it three times within a 2 week period is count your teeth, the service manual says how many teeth there should be between the two cams and the drivers side of the cam belt, the yahoo that helped me refused to use the service manual so that's why it took me so many times. The reason I say this is because the timing marks that Nissan put isn't perfectly lined up to where the points are on the cam gears, so it's easy to get out of a time.

I'm using some off brand parts in my rig (wasn't interested in cars at the time, just saving money) but what others have said as far as brands is correct.

Shoot me an email if you need any immediate help, I could probably do it with my eyes closed after my TB nightmare.

-Kyle